Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Paul & Spook, Mar 8, 2018.
Spook is at 7 doses 0.75 and his BG is staying in the 300s. Is it time to bump back to 1 unit?
Yes, I think you can try that.
Thanks Kris & Teasel
Going to hold at 0.75 ,low on test strips and buried with work until Sunday afternoon. More strips will delivered
Good plan. Dosing is harder when you have a bouncy cat - I know only too well. Try not to overreact to numbers. How is he feeling?
You do what you gotta do to keep them safe!
He doing good. Eating well. Regular bms. Thanks
This is at least as important as the colours on your SS.
Ate alot last night then puked near liter box at 11-12am happens when he gets constipatated. BG 128,135. 160this am.
No shot. Eating a little.
With the numbers you're getting right now, I think you could have safely given the shot even on that low number as long as you would be around to get a +2 test to confirm he was staying in safe territory. One way to feel safer about it is to stall for 20-30 minutes without feeding and re-test to confirm that the number is rising. If the second number is higher then you know the previous dose is wearing off and by the time the new dose kicks in he'll be fine.
You can see on your 3/1 PM cycle that skipping the shot resulted in some pretty high numbers. It's best to avoid skipping whenever possible.
BG 256 now can I give him a 0.75 dose now
You can as long as his next shot is 11-12 hours from now. it means you'll be off schedule and will have to move back to the correct schedule, but if your work/life/etc. allows that, it's okay to shoot now. If you can't move his shot time that much over the next couple of days then it's better to just wait until PMPS tonight.
And don't forget to calculate in that we are losing an hour between tonights PM shot and tomorrow morning's AM shot. So that might add to the complication of getting back on schedule.
I agree with Djamila's advice.
Those yellows after no shot are not bad at all. The fact that he was flatter and lower overall suggests that 0.75 u might be a bit too high. You could try 0.5 u tonight. More data needed to know for sure.
Thanks. I was thinking that also
Hmmm......I'm not quite following the thinking on reducing the dose. Since the 0.75 nadirs are still so high, I would actually think it's time to increase the dose. @Kris & Teasel, is this just different approaches, or am I totally missing something? To be fair, I am running on very little sleep this morning and just poured my coffee, but haven't finished drinking it yet!
Oh wait....are you thinking because the numbers looked better on a NS than they've been looking with the 0.75u?
Yes. Just seeing this now - I've been away from home today.
Worked til 7pm.300’s again. He is a mystery. Giving. 0.75 this am.
See what happens. Can test more today.
Unfortunately you don't know how low he went mid day yesterday. It doesn't have to be very low, just lower than usual in a bouncy cat. That can set off another round of bouncing and that can last for up to 6 cycles. My cat is like that. He does better on Lantus and Levemir but he's still volatile.
Tested Bg 67 gave him some food.
Will test again in a hour.
Ah, yes ... the dive that seems to come out of nowhere. Another thing that volatile cats will do. I suggest you keep the 0.75 u for now if you have the nerve to do that. He'll probably bounce like a mad man after this.
Bg 114 Going to keep it at 0.75 for few more atleast
BG 300’s all night. 261 this am. 8 days at 0.75 After yesterday wondering if stay at 0.75 or back to 0.50?
Staying at 0.75 this am
Sorry I wasn’t on earlier! I like this dose...I think you did fine.
All 300’s so far today. Can this bouncing be caused by to much insulin?
What Ive read about the Somogyi effect makes me wonder.
It’s more likely a reaction to yesterday’s lime green. You could try 0.5 u for a few cyclesto see what happens. A case can be made for that reduction because he dropped low yesterday.
Thanks. Last time we asked the vet also said stay ar .75 Waiting on his reply too. Sent him the SS.
BG 247 pmps is it to low or can we feed and shot
I hope this isn't too late - yes to feed and shoot.
Reread the ProZinc Beginners sticky notes and feed him and will give him injection at 8pm
Spook is a grazer and misses food being available all the time.
it takes about an hour to get a couple Tbs. of wet food in him .
ProZinc is slow-ish in onset so he only needs to eat a little bit (to prove he's willing to eat) before you give insulin. Aside from the 2 hours before pre shot test time you can let him graze with no problem. Many people like an automatic feeder so there are small meals available at set times overnight ornwhile you're at work.
What about grazing on curve days?
We usually say they should eat in their normal pattern on curve days (except for the 2 hours PS) so you capture their response to the dose under typical conditions.
I let mine graze back when I had a sugar cat. Never seemed to affect her adversely...even now all my civvies graze.
A couple good cycles. Hope it continues . With more improvements
Separate names with a comma.