PZI Idexx to Prozic in the am

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Alice and Tabby, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Any of you who have changed over from Idexx to prozinc how did you find the dosage. Wondering how much lower than his usual dose. He's on a scale but we will be starting an entire new scale with all the tweaking and such. Sorry I don't have his info on this board it's on the old board. I have been at this for maybe 5 years but always get nervous when I try a new insulin. Any tips or advice are all welcome. I haven't been on the board in awhile but I am Alice and my cat is Tabby. He's a full figured brownish Tabby cat. And he only eats low carb wet food. And we test all the time.

Alice and Tabby

2. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Alice,
    I haven't switched yet, but others here have switched and use the same dose they used with Idexx. Then they test and see if they need to adjust the dose. Some have found they need more of the Prozinc, but that hasn't been true with everyone.

I'm sure others will be on soon to give you their first hand experiences.

3. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I've switched.

My experience with the switch went basically fine. But you do need to approach it as changing to a new insulin. That means testing - so make sure to have your supply of strips. Getting some mini-curves [at least] and watching closely and adjusting as needed. In our case things shifted around a little then seemed to smooth out after a month to month and a half to be pretty much like to old PZI Vet. We are at a higher dose now than before but that trend actually started right before the switch and may be caused by other things.

So no reason to worry. And to assuage your worries a clinical trial has been done on cats that switched on a 1:1 dose from PZI Vet which worked out well. You can read here:
    http://www.vetlearn.com/Media/Publicati ... 2_24_0.pdf

Here's a topic I posted a while ago too:
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1817

The bottom line is that currently we are doing well with ProZinc and are using it much like the old PZI Vet with a sliding scale like we used to. His numbers are a tad higher than before because I've been chicken to bring them down lower since he is on a higher dose [and because of his other issues] but honestly I could probably bring him down on average another 40 points without issues.

Read the Sticky here in PZI about sourcing your ProZinc so you can get it at a good price.

Let me know if you have any more questions. And, please keep us posted on your transition.

4. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Thanks for all the advice. I get my Prozinc for $106 and that includes overnight shipping. I live in Maine and the pharmacy I get it from is also in Maine. It's the same place I got my Idexx from. We will work into his dose slowly. I have never been able to get Tabby's numbers stable. He's always been all over the place. I have tried one dose but we like the sliding scale best. I didn't give him any insulin for the last 2 days to clear his system so he maybe in the 400's. I don't want to dose too low but will go lower than usual and see how he reacts. I will keep everyone posted.

Alice and Tabby

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I didn't wait. I don't think waiting is required for the switch from PZI Vet to ProZinc - but since there is so little experience who knows what is best.

Perhaps you can send me the info on your pharmacy and I can add it to the local pharmacies? Also how much the base price, shipping and your % tax in Maine?

6. Pam and Stasha (GA)

Pam and Stasha (GA) Member

Good luck, Alice-and Tabby!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.