PZI to Prozinc--my vet won't do it unless I spend big $$$

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mellster, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mellster

mellster New Member

Hello! I am SO glad to see some of the same moderators of FMDB that I saw back in 2005, when my Sassy was first diagnosed with diabetes! Y'all were so helpful to me back then, I swear, I don't know what I would have done without you
    :RAHCAT

ANYway, Sassy is now an old guy of 19--he's been on PZI since his original diagnosis, and he's done very well with it. He's a big kitty, 15 pounds (down from 20, after I took him off dry food), and gets 2 units of PZI twice a day. That dosage hasn't really changed since the beginning, and despite his age, Sassy has his spunk--far as I'm concerned, other than some general creakiness (probably arthritic on some level), he's fine for an elder cat.

Here's my problem, and I'm not sure how common this is--my old vet sold herself out to a chain. Right now, I'm about ready to fire them, because they will not--will not--change Sassy over to Prozinc without a full GC and a fructosamine test (the latter test being something I've already paid for in the last few months). I understand the concept of "why they would want to do this", but unlike in 2005, I am recently unemployed, and I have got to watch what little $$ I have left! (fortunately, my last job afforded me with some severance, so I'm down, but not out).

By the time this place is done with me, I know very well I'll be staring at a 400.00+ vet bill. I love my kitty so much, but I have to find a way to do this as least costly as possible--it's not about "being cheap", I think what's most infuriating is, to start with, I know darned well what the markup on GCs net for these vets, and it's outrageous. I can do it myself--I told the vet that, but she won't accept my results in order to do the changeover.

So I have a couple questions:

1) is it possible to overrule this nonsense? I can go over her head to their corporate offices, but if it's all about the bottom line, I doubt it would make things better anyway. I considered "a different vet", but they all seem to be alike, and I'm not sure where to begin looking (plus a new vet would probably want a new workup on Sassy anyway... ??)

2) where can I buy Prozinc for less than the 129.00 a bottle this office is quoting me? I've looked in a number of domestic and foreign vet sites, and the best price I could find was 98 bucks plus shipping (which makes it maybe 10 bucks cheaper than the vet, tops, so I might as well get it there anyway). I saw someone mention 60.00 wholesale--how do you get that lucky?

2) do you know of any source where I can find non-expired PZI anywhere, which will get me through to maybe year-end (when I will hopefully have another job and will be better-set financially to deal with this?)

Any/all ideas/thoughts welcome and needed. Thank you again for being here!

melly

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

What area do you live in? (post city/state)

Would you be willing to try Lantus or Levemir?

3. mellster

mellster New Member

I did consider Lantus--the original vet and I discussed it prior to the beginning of treatment. That was the most expensive thing at the time (which naturally, I wish I'd done it now). Has that gotten more reasonably priced, and if so, is it a good option?

I'm in east-central Florida, in rural Flagler County (to the south is Daytona Beach, while north is St. Augustine/Jacksonville). Thanks!

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I think a different vet is in order. Not all of them require in house glucose curves, especially if you are hometesting (whether they like it or not). My vet is still not keen on the hometesting thing, but they still give me insulin.

If you live anywhere near lower Indiana, my vet here in town sells vials of prozinc for $72 a vial.

5. mellster

mellster New Member

I'm guessing it is just a matter of calling vets to see if they require a curve, right? I can't believe I'd be so lucky to find a list online, lol confused_cat

6. cjleo

cjleo Member

Will they give you a script for PCB PZI from Houston? What about a script for Lantus or Levemir? You can shop around for them.

The new Prozinc is quite a bit different from the Idexx PZI. Might as well switch to Lantus or Levemir. And if you get Lantus cartridges it will be cheaper that the Lantus vials. Initial outlay is a bit higher but will last you at least 6 months.

If the chain is VCA, I sympathize with you. I left tan office I really liked when they were bought out. Everything changed. Money rules, not care for the animals. Too bad...

Claudia

7. mellster

mellster New Member

I'm not sure I follow--I searched on PCB PZI and came up empty.

Ugh, chains! No, not VCA, but probably just as irritating. All about the money, that's all, which totally s**ks. Seems to me they care little about the patients or their owners, they've pretty much been a mess since the changeover

:dizcat

8. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

9. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

It's BCP PZI, not PCB PZI.

10. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Melly,

In the PZI forum, in the sticky at the top; there's links to some resources for Prozinc. Gator compiled them earlier this year. Unfortunately, they're around $120 with shipping.

PZI sources

There are some links for coupons--not sure if any are available right now, but its worth a look.

eta:
    You could try posting over in the supply closet

I saw a post the other week for PZI vet, not sure if its still available, though.

PZI Vet Available

11. mellster

mellster New Member

Thanks, Jen! I'll try the Supply Closet, too--I'm still reading through all the newer stuff, looks like the forum has grown a bit!!

I can't say it enough, you guys are great! flip_cat

melly

12. cjleo

cjleo Member

Sorry Melly,

I must be loosing it. Diane gave you the link for the PZI from Houston.

Hope that helps.

Claudia

13. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Was Sassy on PZI IDEXX?

14. mellster

mellster New Member

Yes, he was on the IDEXX PZI, Hope--I swear, all this is such a sign to me to change vets--this dingaling never told it was being discontinued, and because Sassy was doing so well, I was a bad mommy and didn't keep up with it online myself...
    :YMSIGH:

15. mellster

mellster New Member

aw, that's OK! It was still a big help, much appreciated!

cat_pet_icon

16. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Mel, PM me your name, address and I'll overnight you a bottle of IDEXX, expiration of 9/10. I have enough for Mishka and plan on using it to the last drop. This will buy you time to find a new vet.

17. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you do decide to eventually switch to Lantus, make sure the prescription is for either the cartridges or Solostar pens. If you buy it by the vial, you will end up throwing most of it away. Even though the initial cost is more expensive, you will get 5 times the amount of use from it if you buy the 5 packs of the cartridges or pens. I bought mine at the beginning of the year get a little almost 3 months of insulin per pen. For less than twice the price of a vial, I have almost a year's worth of insulin.

Someone also had some vials of Lantus for sale on Health viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16465 in case you want to just buy it from them.

18. mellster

mellster New Member

Thank you so much, Hope! I just sent a PM, but some of the initial posts or replies I'm sending don't always seem to make it out of the "Outbox"; let me know if you didn't get it, OK?

dancing_cat

19. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Got it Mel and replied back :smile:

20. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I think Cindy and Mousie also has some PZI Idexx, as she switched Mousie over to Lantus. You could try PMing her through this link.

21. mellster

mellster New Member

I'll do that....thanks, Venita!

cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.