Q for anyone whose baby is OTJ

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Jane (GA), May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Jane's getting a fat zero dose and still plunging into the 30s. WHen you did your first OTJ trial, did you see crazy numbers, or did your baby just settle immediately into a normal range?

I tried a day OTJ and she escalated, but maybe it was a bounce, maybe not. Just a-wonderin.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

just looked at your ss and if I had to guess why she jumped to 254 - I'd say it was due to the HC and karo.

If you are giving a fat 0 - then put the HC and karo away - there is no way she can overdose on that amount (or lack ) of insulin.

I also think, it may be time for a trial and let's see if she can maintain those nice greens.

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

try stopping that fat zero and see what happens...

4. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

All for dropping the fat zero and trying a trial! If it doesn't work you can go back to the fz, but you wil never know until you try!!

Good Luck!!!!!

5. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Jane nadirs at +6, and a 30 at +3 or so is a scary thing.

Jane's history -- she's been OTJ for five years, but a thyroid episode threw her out of remission about three weeks ago. i did try her OTJ for a day, but her numbers escalated into the low 400s without a dose.

i've reduced about as much as i can, and she still drops like a rock at +3.

Really wanting to know if those who have successfully gotten OTJ had some crazy numbers at first -- that would give me reason to ride out a day or two of highs if she's going to self-regulate. It's been 5 years and I just don't remember how she did when I stopped the insulin back then.

6. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

I would ride it out Kris. Most OTJ have been in greens for awhile before trying OTJ but janie is a bit different :roll: we have to see how much of a pancreas we have working. jojo commented on your LL thread and said if a full functioning pancreas janie would not bounce. have nothing to loose to ride it for a few.
    do you have anymore numbers for today

7. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

there you are! yes -- just entered them all.

8. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Have you gotten feedback in the Lantus support forum from any of the dosers there? If fat 0 is dropping you into the 30s, it sounds to me like you shouldn't be giving insulin, but your spreadsheet is full of enough high numbers that I certainly don't know enough to give dosing advise. If you see a really low number, can you try lc or mc, maybe Jane is like--I think its Jill's Alex-- that is ultra-sensitive to carbs and a lc brings up those low numbers just fine.

It also looks like you have a lot of variances going on moving the shot from flank to scruff, feeding HC and karo and now you've started the methimazole. Lantus loves consistancy. If you continue to dose, I would pick flank or scruff and stay there so that the absorbtion on each shot is consistant. It looks like the numbers really started going low after the start of the methimazole? Maybe that is clearing up what elevated the BGs and you can give stop dosing and see how things progess? I think that is something you'd want to get the dosing experts advice on over in the Lantus support forum though.

My girl was was not typical IMO, just didn't waiver all that much no matter where we were in the dosing scale or the trial. But, we did rise a little at first and then dropped and settled in nicely.

9. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

she's been on tapazole for a few years now, but doubled the dose after the thyroid scream. Also switched to compounded liquid. thyroid numbers into the normal range again.

been shooting scruff exclusively since the 18th - my poor baby. she's guzzling water today.

10. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

you know this is a bounce from the 30

11. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

My kitties would bounce around a bit. When I would shoot on schedule on a number that was below 200, I would often find them spike - and find that they had dropped to below 60. The spike was probably a rebound.

I got more stable numbers when I began to skip doses. I went from BID to SID and the numbers would stabilize. Then I had to begin skipping days when I saw wide fluctuations.

For a bit I would pretest and NOT shoot anything below 200. Then the kitty would skip days before they would need insulin. It would go from BID to SID to a shot every 2-3 days to no shot, tapering down.

Initially their BG would range between 125-185 often, but if I left it be, their body began functioning more on its own and within a week or two I was getting numbers below 100 whenever I tested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.