quail diet -- diabete & pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sun, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sun

sun Member

dear all,

i managed to get some quail. i mixed it with a shrimp (50% 50%) for
    the first time. and she took it.
    good good.
    i hope this novel and high protein plus low fat (than chicken she took
    in the wellness core) will help her pancreatitis and not able to
    regulated BG (after 7 months insulin on lantus).

if she is willing to go on eating quail, i will do home-made food as
    much as i can.
    and i know this is not a balanced diet.
    so may iask what kind of minerals/vit should i flow in?

now she is on sam-e (100mg), digestive enzyme, vit e (100iu), k+ supplement wih b12 (as she has low k+ generally from BG test).
    i know she needs taurine, and calcium (should i put some bone of the quail), what else and how much should i flow in?

plus, she is on lantus for 7 months and still not able to be regulated. is there any other choice of insulin i should try?

thxxx
    anson

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the supplements Dr. Lisa uses in her raw food recipe and where she gets it from: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatf ... ngredients

One thing that jumps out to me with your spreadsheet is that you did a lot of dose increases without a lot of data. I know each person's lifestyle is different and not everyone can get the mid cycle spot tests, but if you don't know how low kitty went in the middle of the cycle, then you really don't know if you should raise the dose or not. Lantus dosing is not determined by the preshot number - it is determined by the low point, which is the data you are lacking the most. If ketones are not present, I would suggest maybe going back down to 1u or 1.5u and try to get some mid cycle tests. You may have passed your optimal dose and not known it.

3. sun

sun Member

the dose increase was the decisions of the vet.
    i have been experiencing such a hard time with this issue.

i did suggest to the vet to restart from 1.5unit all over again, where she did have two weeks in normal. but they said no. they said once it's raised, it's not ok to go back...

i always think my beloved cat has passed the optimal dose... and the vet disagree...

very hard to deal with them.

i am visiting another vet recently in fact. will talk to her further...

thx

4. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hello Anson!

It's not correct what your vet said: you CAN lower the dose - it won't mess up anything. This is your cat, and YOUR decision to make, based on all of the data and information you can gather. A lot of vets are not experts on feline diabetes, so you need to educate yourself and advocate for your kitty.

I am not an expert, but I can tell you my experiences, in the hopes that it may help guide you. But, do remember that every cat is different (ECID), so this is just my story.

Porky was diagnosed last November, and the vet quickly raised his dose of Lantus from 1 unit BID to 3 units BID. After getting a fairly low BG reading of 100 (after getting readings in the 300's and 400's) I was nervous to give him his 3 units - and rightfully so! After posting on this board and getting lots of advice from the members, I decided to start all over at 1 unit BID - and I'm so glad I did! Even at the 1 unit dose, Porky went on the have a couple of minor hypoglycemic episodes (low BG), so I had to lower his dose. Imagine what could have happened if I had continued at 3 units!!!

Porky has now gone into remission - he's off insulin, and has been for 6 months! A success story, to be sure....and hopefully your kitty will have his own!

Keep posting here on this board with your questions - there are many knowledgeable people here who can help guide you through this confusing and difficult time.

5. sun

sun Member

i also understand this rationally...
    but this is so very hard. i talked to the vet again today and she suggested 3 meals instead of 4 meals. and she says it is better if we can control her BG under 180 in mid day at least, then she will feel better.
    but my worries are diabetic cats need food. and she is thin (just 2.6kg).

and doing the shot after food (15-3mins) is not the practice i know.
    what are your comments?

i am very confused...
    today, she urine on her bed and moves less and less.
    i am worried.

6. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Some cats are lethargic if their BGs are above a certain number. I can always tell if Oscar's numbers are above 300 just by watching his behavior.

Can you test for ketones to see if you are dealing with those? If you have some in the urine or blood at this dose, then it means that the high dose may be warranted. If no ketones are present - I still think that going back to a dose of 1 or 1.5u may be in order all the while monitoring the ketone level.

Your kitty has so much going on that it might be a little hard to differentiate what is making her not feel so great.

7. sun

sun Member

i checked ketones reguarlly. just checked yesterday and she is fine.

i will ask the vet on this and in fact, i want to try another type...

i have been asking for long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.