Question about AlphaTrak2 Strips - Recode?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JAAshwell, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

Sorry dumb question but I want to be sure.

I'm using an Alpha Trak 2 and yesterday my test strips disappeared so the vet gave me a bottle of 50 until mine come in next week.

I was coding 38 on the meter, but when I got a high reading this morning, I looked at the bottle and now it says 90 (forgot exactly and not at "station").

I just recode the meter to the new number right? Do the codes change with different expiration dates? I was surprised there was such a change and I have definitely checked everything to make sure everything is AlphaTrak2. The first bottle of strips had an expiration date in 2015 and the new ones are 2016.

Thank you!
    Judy&Emmy

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What do the meter instructions say to do?

And I really like my Confirm Micro - no coding and much less expensive!

3. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

The meter instructions do not address a 60+ change in the code; however, it says to match so I will. Thanks for the suggestion re: Confirm Micro but I already have the Alpha Trak, no sense throwing it away right now.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The coding changes with different lots of strips. To improve accuracy the manufacturer tests each lot of strips and uses a code that maximizes accuracy. Different lots of strips will have different expiration dates

JAAshwell likes this.
  5. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

I agree with BJ. We previously used the AlphaTrak from the vet, but with extensive testing, it got cost prohibitive. The meter was way overpriced, as were the test strips. I also didn't like having to rely on the vet every time we needed a refill. And there was one time when I had to re-code the meter to match the new bottle of strips. Like you, JA, I found that to be confusing. Ended up calling the vet for advice. Have now purchased an inexpensive ReliOn Micro from Walmart and am very happy with it. No coding necessary for each new bottle of much-more-affordable strips. It autocodes itself. Works for me. As for that AlphaTrak... I use it as a backup, should I ever need it.

JAAshwell likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

As Larry has advised above you need to check the code number on every new pot of strips you get. If the code number is the same as your previous pot, you don't need to change anything. If the number on the new pot is different, insert a strip from the new pot and when the code number displays, simply press the meter button to scroll through to the number than matches the code on the new pot. :)

7. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Áine, you make it sound so simple. I should have asked you instead of calling our vet's office. The gal that helped me also had a little trouble figuring out how to re-code, leaving me even more confused. o_O

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

It took me a while to find how to do it in the destruction manual, Carole: it's not highlighted well at all. Last year I went through a period where the codes were different on several pots in a row, so the process kinda stuck. :)

9. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

Thanks all - I just wanted some reassurance I had the right strips. I don't get them from the vet - the vet told me I could get them cheaper on Amazon and she's right. I will get the other meter but I have the AlphaTrak right now and I'm just getting used to that. When I can do a blood stick on the phone - was that you Critter Mom? - I'll be ready to switch up meters - lol!
    It is easy to re-code.

Judy&Emmy

10. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

Thank you Larry - I just like to know the "why" of things. Your explanation really helps.
    Judy&Emmy

11. Critter Mom

Not me, Judy. My brain's far too fuddled to manage something like that. :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.