Question about Authority cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jmalasiuk, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Authority brand foods. Tonka has been doing really well on his combination of Purina DM and Fancy Feast Turkey and Giblets (with the odd can of something else thrown in now and again for variety), but I'd really like to get him onto a food with less liver in it than the DM and am on an ongoing search for a good quality food that is not so expensive. Both cats have been losing weight lately (Tonka's blood sugar and activity levels have been good, so it shouldn't be diabetes related; Teeger is going in for bloodwork to recheck his hyperthyroid issues), so a more calorie dense food wouldn't be a bad idea, or else I'll just have to increase the amount I feed them. I tried them on the Chicken pate the last time I was in town long enough to experiment and they liked it well enough (they're not terribly fussy).

Looking at the CatInfo food list, Authority Chicken and Authority Chicken in Sauce both appear to have relatively low carbs (3% and 5%), an okay balance of protein to fat, about the same phosphorous and slightly higher calories than the DM, and the ingredient list looks decent to my untrained eyes. But I know nothing about this food and was just wondering if anyone had had any experience (good or bad) with it.

2. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

I started feeding Authority a couple of years ago to help get some weight on one of my diabetics. I've only used the pate varieties - Chicken, Turkey & Giblets and sometimes the kitten formula. I'm happy with the ingredients which are way better than DM. It seems similar to Wellness and all the cats like it.

3. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

That's good to know. Thanks Deborah.
    I'm hoping that the weight loss is just them both deciding that they need more calories now that summer is here. Teeger just had some bloodwork done (which looked good) and Tonka is going in on Monday for a check up, but his glucose levels look good, so the sudden ongoing weight loss is a bit of a mystery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.