Question about benazapril

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

my cat civvie got a creatine level of 3.9 today, bun normal. vet put him on benazpril and said fluids were ok if i wanted to to them but didn't really need them now.
    i have another cat who recently got diagnosed with kidney disease. her creatanie was 2.7 (high normal 2.4) and her bun was slighly elavated. he did not suggest this drug for her but just fluid treatment.
    why the diffence with these two cats?
    rest of blood work is fairly normal. blood pressue is normal in both cats.
    on my male cat, vet didn'[t do complete blood work because i had to drop off. he didn't test protein levels even though my cat is losing muscle mass and wasting he;s barely 8 punds.
    vet i saw last week said that this was normal weight loss due to age (he's 9 and 1/2 about) even when his creatine at that time was 3.2
    very frustrated by the lack of consistency or explaniation. i'm going in tomorrow to talk to vet tomorrow..
    very bad vets here. f -
    don't even know what kind of insulins are out there. don't know what lantus is. thank god my diabetic is in remission.
    oh, my questions. any info about benazapril? is is safe to use. can you think of a reason that a vet would prescribe that and no fluids vs. just fluids for two cats with kidney disease. they havne't looked into origin of disease with either. could be old age with both, don't know.
    what can cause wasting. anything besides kidney disease? what should i ask about.
    isn't it right to check protein levels. albumin and globulin in my cat?
    does high creatine and normal bun suggest any particular kind of disease? i mean, something might be causing the kidney disease.
    i am so so angry with the vets here, ... i won't get into it. thank god for this site. thanks.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would ask the vet why the seeming different treatment. Benazpril us an ACE inhibitor and is usually used to lower blood pressure. In cats with CRF is is used if there is excessive protein loss in the urine. The urine protein level is a special test and not the standard dipstick protein test.

3. Sara and Buttercup

thanks. he didn't test for protein loss. now that he is on the drug, the test results will be scewed. i am really angry that he didnt do this test before putting him on this med. very sloppy. he didn't talk to me about it before putting him on it either.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Based on posts to Yahoos CRF group. use of benazapril (Fortekor®) is not that uncommon especially in England.

5. Sara and Buttercup

ok, thanks. do you know how long it takes to work? i'm wondering about getting his protein tested befoer the effects of the drug start to kick in. i'd just like to know. he got one pill yesterday. i wonder if i could postpone it stop it for a few days, get a test, and then start it. if he actually isn't losing protein, i would rather not be giving it to him because his pressure is normal. at least at this time. thanks a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.