Question about feeding & antibiotics

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Myrtlesmum, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

So Myrtle is on antibiotics for suspected infection (amoxicillin/clavulanic acid) and they have removed all appetite- they did this last time she was on then too but we didn’t have to worry about the diabetes too. Her numbers seem to be getting better - not sure though if it’s the antibiotics or the small dose of insulin. I’m worried that she will only eat tiny amounts though I’ve tried a whole different range of cat foods. She will eat if I hand feed her raw chicken. Is this enough though to keep her going a few days? Is it too nutritionally deficient with the diabetes and giving her insulin? Last time she started eating again a couple of days after the antibiotics were stopped but we still have 3 days of antibiotics to go,

2. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

I would try to give the antibiotics after a meal, since they tend to be hard on the stomach. Or call the vet for anti nausea meds. FortiFlora probiotic has been fantastic for helping my cat cope with antibiotics and they love the taste, so it encourages them to eat.

I can’t say if raw chicken alone is fine for a few days, but it’s probably a lot better than nothing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.