Question about insulin.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tom Shooter, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Shooter

Tom Shooter Member

My bottle of insulin is running low and I notice that the consistency is becoming thicker when I suck it into the needle. I read that the insulin bottle should not be shaken before use and I have been slowing turning it over in my hands before drawing out the liquid. I am now wondering if perhaps it needed to be rotated a little more aggressively and what I have now is a concentrated form. Dusty gets two units every 12 hours and his number have remained constant so I am wondering if I am worrying about noting. I thought it might be a good idea to drop in at the Vets with the bottle to see what they think so she is only a few minutes away.

The one thing I did notice is that recently he seems to pass out for a few hours shortly after getting his needle. Of course since he is a cat it hard to tell,lol. So I guess my question is the thicker insulin still good or should I get a new bottle just to be safe. There is maybe 20% left and it is not that expensive so I am ok if the new bottle is the route to go.

Dusty g

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The insulin should not become 'thicker'. ProZinc should be mixed by gently rolling the vial before each use. The appearance should be consistent with no floaters or separation.

Are you testing at home? If you have noticed a change in behavior like him 'passing out for a few hours' after his shot, it is possible that there is an issue... maybe his glucose is going too low. If that is the case, it is dangerous.

3. Tom Shooter

Tom Shooter Member

Thank you for your reply. His numbers are consistent. As for passing out he is not the type of cat to take cat naps so maybe I am just imaging it. I am going to get the vet to look at the bottle. Better safe than sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.