? Question about leaving insulin out

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phoebes (GA), Oct 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

How long before giving shot can you draw up the insulin, to let it warm up for less sting? I've been doing 30 mins but it needs longer since my house is kept like a refrigerator.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Thirty minutes should be ample time for a small amount of insulin to warm up. Try carefully putting the syringe top back on and then holding it in your hand for a few minutes.

Yong & Maury GA and Squalliesmom like this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I think @StephG was going to try drawing up the Lantus insulin in the syringe, with cap on, and gently rolling it between the palm of her hands. Similar to how we had to roll Prozinc to mix it but it also slightly warmed it up so it wasn't super cold :).

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Just lately Noah has been reacting more, like an annoying twitch, when I inject. Could the cold be bothering him now when it never did before? I've always poked him in the hind quarters. I'm also leery of "Injecting into muscle mass makes the insulin absorb quicker". How much effect does that really have? Caninsulin is not an immediate insulin, right? He also has some scar tissue where I don't get that feeling that the needle has definitely broken through.

5. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I've started putting the cap back on then putting the syringe between my fingers (all the way down by my hand) with the plunger pointing up, not toward the palm of my hand while I put the pen away and walk to where he's eating. My hands are about always warm so it warms it up just enough to take the chill out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.