Question about missing shot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KerriL, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KerriL

KerriL Member

Hi my Fatty has been diagnosed almost 2 months now, on lantus 2x daily but dose in my opinion is a bit high as he has had 3 times now where hes been quite low (4.5 to 5.4 or 80 to 97) then bounces back up again. If the cat is so low at injection time do you miss that injection or give a lower one? My vet wanted me to give his 3 units but i was panicked about a possible hyperglycemic attack overnight....what is the standard for injections when bg is low??? And do you think i should lower his dose, he has been on 3 units for 2 weeks.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Kerri and Fatty and welcome to FDMB.

It sounds like you are home testing! Kudos for that! Home testing is the best tool we have to keep kitty safe. It's difficult to be specific about dosing issues without some data to look at however if those readings of 4.5 to 5.4 (80 to 97) were pre-shot tests, then I would not give Fatty a dose of 3u. Whether to skip the shot or give a reduced dose really would depend on history. In the early days, when there is little data on how kitty reacts, we usually suggest no shot unless pre-shot is over 11 mmol (200 mg.).

This is our welcome mat area and it doesn't get a lot of traffic so why don't you come join us over in the Health Forum where you'll get lots of input and we'll help you get on a smoother path managing Fatty. When you post there, please provide a bit more info including what diet Fatty is on, any other health issues, and your general location in case you need any location specific information. Looking forward to getting to know you and Fatty! :D

KerriL likes this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes history of BGs and doses is required to shoot at the BGs you described. It also depends upon the insulin being used. My BunBun gets his full dose of 1.9 units of Levemir was a PS of above 70. I use human meter. His low between shots is about 60. I took a while of slowing working up to his full does when I first got PS BGs below of about 150. Similar with my Patches II but I have, based on experience, shot a full does of 2 units Levemir at BGs as low as 50 for a PM PS. Her AM PS are always higher than PM PSs.

KerriL likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Kerri and Fatty!
    Come on over to Main Health forum so more eyes can see your situation :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.