Question About Neosporin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

I would like to start using Neosporin with pain relief on Victor's ears, because after I prick them he doesn't even like me to hold the cotton against his ear to stop the bleeding, so I'm sure they must be sore, but I've read that some cats can be allergic to it and just wanted to know how common it is and how to tell if they are allergic to it. Thanks guys.

2. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

Mine was sensitive to it.

After using it for a few days I came home from work to see her ear bloody with no fur on the spot I used the neosporin on. The skin was raw, bloody, and seeping clear liquid like a bad burn.

So yeah :)

It healed up relatively quick after discontinued use.

3. JeanW

JeanW Member

One of my vets recommended using regular baking flour to stop the bleeding and it seems to work very well. I wouldn't use the Neosporin for Pretty Girl.

It also helps to make sure you're poking on the very outside edge of the ear so close to the edge that you're almost - but not - poking on the underside of the ear. After you've used up a box of regular 28 gauge lancets try going to 30 or 31 gauge. Their ear is more used to the pokes and for Pretty Girl I now need to barely touch the outside edge of her ear with a 30 gauge lancet (less pain) and I get a drop of blood right away. Also it results in less bleeding overall which is great.

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Just a very thin coat of plain vaseline is truly better than using Neosporin. The only reason the neo is suggested is the lidocaine 'pain relief' part. Neo is an antibiotic cream - it does react on the skin, some it works fine, others it causes irritation instead.

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Halo Purely for Pets makes a product called Cloud Nine Herbal Healing Salve.

It's fantastic stuff! A little pricey, but the tiniest bit goes a long way and there's no problem if a pet eats it! In addition to ordering online, I was able to find it at Whole Foods Market, Kroger Food Stores, and a few small specialty pet stores. I used it for years on Alex's ears and never, ever had to be concerned about chemicals.

Ingredients
    Vegetable Oils [Almond, Castor, Coconut, Avocado], beeswax, squalene, carnuba wax, vitamin A, vitamin E, calendula, aloe vera gel concentrate., comfrey, tea tree oil, myrrh gum oil, Lavender Oil

Rardito likes this.
  6. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

I always just use Vaseline before the poke and a little after. My boys ears held up perfect through it all and you can't even tell he has been poked alot. And he was poked ALOT lol. Just look at my spreadsheet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.