Question about raising dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SidneysMom, Jan 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

So my vet had Sid on 1 unit of Lantus twice daily, but he kept having me stop if the number dropped below fifteen over the holidays. It was confusing, he had had an infection and I guess he was playing it safe. I lowered it to 0.75 to see if I could keep him on a steadier dose while this was going on, but he still dropped below.

Skip ahead to where I got the go ahead to shoot lower numbers, and I decided I wanted Sid on the SLGS method because I can't test during the day unless hubby is off, and wanted to start slow. I've only managed a few mid cycle before bed tests...but I think this dose may be too low, as the supposed nadir seems kinda high. When should I up the dose to 0.75? How much more data do I need?
    Keep in mind, we are new to testing and our cat is fighting us sometimes, so I'm trying to get close to what should be nadir time tests at the moment to see if he's going low, since multiple tests are an extreme challenge. Thanks for any insight.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I don’t think it would be a problem going back up to 0.75 units. Normally SLGS would have you do a curve, but it also wouldn’t have had you drop to 0.5 units cause he wasn’t going below 90 (5.0). So I think you are fine going back up.

As for more data, more is always good. But if your hubby's home at night, I would try for those before bed tests every night if you can, along with day time spot checks as possible. Occasional curves are good so you can pinpoint the likely times of his nadir. That will give you a good idea when to test during the day.

Other than feisty with tests, how is Sidney doing?

SidneysMom likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Jen -

Have you considered migrating over to the Lantus forum? There are a number of people who are experienced with Lantus there and people are often around 24/7 if you have a questions. It's fine to stay here in Health but most the th experience with Lantus is on that insulin support group page.

Jennifer R. and SidneysMom like this.
  4. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) The Lantus Forum intimidates me. They seem really...organized and I don't know how to say it, like I feel like questions can get lost over there with all the dosing posts? I feel more comfortable in here. Not saying anyone in there has been rude, they've been great when I asked a question, but I feel like it moves too fast for me or something. If that makes sense?

5. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

@Wendy&Neko Thanks for asking! Sid's doing okay, I suppose. It's been a lot for us to get used to. I'd like to see him doing a bit better numbers wise. We are getting used to things. I feel like we are starting over essentially.

6. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

It just seems to me at a glance that Sid won't be hitting blue or green with this particular dose.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It does.

It's actually a very social group. Each of the groups here operates a bit differently. There are more "rules and regulations" there. In part, it's because there are a lot of cats using Lantus and Lev. As a result, we ask people to post one thread per cat per day (or to not keep a continuous thread they way it's done here on Health). The more you stop by other people's threads to comment or ask a question, the more people begin to interact with you. It's just a different social milieu. Way back in the Dark Ages when I joined the board, I tended to feel like my posts got overlooked. It took a while for me to figure out how the Lantus board operated. Many of the Lantus folks don't wander over here that much -- there's too much to do on the Lantus board and everyone only has a finite amount of time. There's no pressure. Think about it. If you decide to post there, send me note or tag me.

SidneysMom likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Agreed, I think you are safe to increase.

When I asked about Sid, I meant what we call the 5 P’s. How is he doing with regard to playing, preening, purring,modeling, poking. The things we can’t see. A cat is much more than his numbers.

SidneysMom likes this.
  9. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Oh. I don't know, he doesn't really play much? But he's an older kitty. He has taken to chasing his brother every day, and I think he thinks that's some form of playing. He's also gotten the poop zooms lately and hasn't had that in a while. Purring...he likes being brushed so I get purrs with that. He's grooming. He still sleeps a lot. I see bits of him back to his old self and sometimes not. He likes sleeping in all his favourite haunts. He's nosy. Lately he's been more vocal.

10. Wendy&Neko

Those all sounds like promising signs for Sidney. Hopefully he'll soon connect feeling better with you poking him. I was surprised the first time I got a purr for a BG test and more so when I got it for a shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.