Question about scheduling (moving from main forum)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by PiePie, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiePie

PiePie Member

I tried to give him treats this morning and then do an AMPS and he was not having it. He was so hungry and then so upset that I just don't see how I can get this to work. By the time I got blood from him (after 3 pokes, he's going to have a bad day today), the BG was 490 which I know is higher than it should have been. I just watched all the videos for testing that are linked on site, and the cats are all hanging out, not crying for their breakfast. Keaton is much easier to do mid- day (if we're home) when he's just chilling somewhere too.

Any help, suggestions, words of wisdom are appreciated. So far I've been giving him treats every time he gets a needle stick (which my other cat has picked upon better than he has), but just can't establish a pattern. Maybe it's too many changes at once? For 9 years they free fed on their kibble whenever they were hungry, and now we feed than 2-3x / day.

Based on my and my husband's weekday schedules, current thought is to move everything back, feed in the morning, wait 2+ hours, do BG and then shoot. Am I just exacerbating the problem? Also not sure if we ever need someone to do it that they are going to feed, wait 2 hours and shoot.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It's okay to feed him first. :) The food doesn't hit the blood for about 20 minutes, so give him some food and let him eat for about five minutes. Then if he's not done, go ahead and take it away (this may take a little training so he doesn't freak out about that part) and do the test. Then you can inject while he finishes his meal. Does that seem like it would work for him?

Sharon14 and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.