Question about several loose stools in shelter kitten

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ourmaineman, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ourmaineman

ourmaineman New Member

Hi everyone. I'm not new to the board but have been gone for over a year now. ZP, my lovely Maine Coon (GA), and I found tons of help here a few years back and I will always be grateful to so many people here who helped us through over a year of treating his diabetes.

I hope someone can help me now. I have a question about a new 9 wk old (human raised) kitten we adopted from the pound. He has been home now nearly 5 days and remains in isolation as we have another cat and her vet recommended we wait about 10 days to make any intros. Before arriving here, the kitten, Rocket, had his second distemper series, rabies, Revolution, worming, and neuter (alot/too much I know!). Since he's been with me, he's been quite active, and is eating alot (I am starting him on EVO dry/low carb that I used to feed ZP in small amounts) as well as drinking more water than I am used to seeing. He plays and runs to drink often but I don't see him camped out at the bowl...

For the most part, everything seems fairly normal. However, Rocket is having several small soft BM's. Today it's been 6 times; they are normal to very soft and quite smelly. The last one seemed to have a tiny bit of mucous in it...

Is this frequency normal for a 9 wk old kitten? Could it be too much food? Too much water? Or just due to the change in diet? Bottom line is should I be worried? (It's been over 18 years since ZP was a kitten so I am totally out of practice!)

I would appreciate any thoughts... Thank you!

***forgot to add that Rocket was negative on the leukemia/FIV test....

2. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Basically, if you change the diet, you allow for about 3 days for the diarrhea (if any) to calm down. If it continues, it's not the food. (well, unless they have a weird allergy or something) That's what the shelter tells us with their foster kittens though. We only start worrying if it gets progressively worse in only a couple of days, or lasts longer than 3 days. If it goes away, it was the food change. Also, if he's getting dry food, expect them to drink more! You'd be surprised with how much water they can go through with all that dry food. (& yes.. while they're growing in the first year, they eat a LOT!) I actually have one of those water things with the jug of water you fill up, and tip upside down, like a mini water cooler. With a litter of foster kittens, they go through it FAST!

If it continues, or develops into full-blown diarrhea, you may need something. Our shelter does no tests, but immediately puts them on metro (metronidazole). It cures about 90% of the kittens' diarrhea issues! If it continues, and you can get a sample, you can always take it to the vet, and they can see if they see anything under a microscope. The shelter told me it's not often you DO see something in there though, even if they DO have something. (it's such a small sample that they use) They never even ask for samples, as they see them as mostly useless.

I'd say, as long as he's active, eating, drinking & pooping, he's good for now. Just watch to see if the poop gets more liquid-y or not. If it does.. for more than 3 days, ask your vet if you can get some metro. It covers a wide variety of things, but I think the biggest thing is giardia I believe? See if that's something you think your vet thinks would help.. or at least be worth trying first. http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learning- ... y-use.html

Good luck & have fun while the 'kitten crazies' last! ;-)

3. ourmaineman

ourmaineman New Member

Thank you so much. I did some online research last nite and read about fasting a kitten for 12 hrs. I ended up just feeding him a very tiny amt before I went to bed and he did not have any bm's over nite but as soon as we went in to see him this AM and he ran around (like a very crazy monkey!), he went in the litterbox. It was still soft, smelly but not as soft as the ones last nite. He's REALLY hungry but I am going to wait another hour or so before feeding him. My hope is that it is the diet change as well as all the procedures he's had done in so little time. I can remember when we fostered our other cat, she had very loose stools/diarrhea in the first days as well. When I took her in they gave us probiotics to add to her food but when we got home, she was fine so I figured it was the diet change.

Thanks again for the specific info based on your experience. It is really helpful. Take care! :)

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I have adopted three kittens over the last two years. I had problems with very loose stool. I ascribed it to the change from dry food to Fancy Feast upsetting their systems.

But it could be too much vaccination at one time as well. (I lost one of those kittens to a fever of unknown origin, and that I ascribe to too much stuff going into a body with an immature immune system at one time.) I now have a rule with new kittens--only one vaccination/worming/defleaing a week. The vet goes along with it, and doesn't charge me an office visit when we just drop in for a shot.

5. ourmaineman

ourmaineman New Member

Two more Q's.....

Thanks Venita. Knowing what I know and having learned alot from my experience with ZP (vaccinations and Revolution done when he was ill/stressed) I was frustrated and worried by all of the things done at once. Unfortunately, it seems this seems to be standard practice by the pound for kittens/cats going to be neutered/spayed after adoption. Everything is simply thrown at them at once. I had tried to call and ask them to delay the rabies (until 4 mos) but they had somehow done it already (along with the distemper which I was not expecting at all) and I was upset that I had been too late.

I am planning on moving Rocket over to Fancy Feast but will wait for this current situation to clear and I will intro it slowly...

BTW, What is a normal frequency for 9wk old kitten to have a bowel movement? (He's up to 2 already and it's just after noon; they are soft but not runny...)
    Still active and hungry...drinking water as well....

Also, for those who've added new additions to family, is 10 days a good amt of time for isolation? Our Jiggy is a 5 yo indoor cat we rescued two yrs ago. She has only had a rabies shot (just a few days ago to meet requirement to adopt Rocket) since I don't normally vaccinate her since she is indoors and due to her asthma, already has immune system issues....

6. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I'm not positive how often they poop. Maybe it's a little more often, because it's soft? I know they're little poop machines though too. :razz: Course, when I have fosters, they're all in the same room, and I'm not sure who poops when, since I keep them separate from my cats. Also probably depends on what you're feeding them. May be something to ask your vet though.

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

In my experience, it depends on what kind of shelter bugs they may be carrying. The most common is an upper respiratory infection. Watch for signs of sneezing and pink eye. If you don't see any of that in the first 5 days or so, I would say it's safe to let the commingling commence.

As a preventative, I would add L-Lysine (you can get it at a pharmacy) to each cats' food. 1/2 capsule BID for each cat. Maybe a touch less for the kitten.

BTW, have we seen a pic?? [​IMG]

8. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Yes, L-Lysine is good to sprinkle around on everyone's food to keep the kitten healthy, and from your cat(s) from catching anything from it. Kittens older than about 4-8 weeks though can get the adult dose of 500mg a day. Just make sure you pick up lysine WITHOUT the ingredient propylene glycol in it. Harmless to people, but dangerous for cats.

& yes.. pics please! :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.