Question about snacks for nearly toothless kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by static, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. static

static Member

I wrote this out last night but it appears to have been "eaten". I don't see it in my posts.
    anyway, I bought Dale some freeze-dried chicken but unfortunately, he was not able to chew it because he is missing so many teeth (long story, but right after he was diagnosed he was in a kennel and they let him escape. He was missing for two and a half months and was in really bad shape when he came back, including having lost several teeth). I am wondering what some other options are for him in between meals. Thanks!

2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Bandit had to have most of his teeth pulled because his diabetes was causing infection in his gums. I give him freeze-dried Salmon as a treat, and he has no problem gobbling it down. If the pieces are small enough, Dale should be able to eat it ok. Another option is baby food...Beecher makes a few stage 2 meat flavors that are just meat and broth. Make sure you check the ingredients, though, as you want the ones that only have meat in them.

How are Dale's remaining teeth and gums? No sign of infection, by chance?

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Two of my cats are nearly toothless -- they do not have problems eating small pieces that don't need to be broken.

So -- for freeze dried treats, I cut them up before giving them.

Also, i cut them up because once, one of my cats choked trying to swallow a big chunk. Fortunately i was home and able to pull it out of his mouth. That chunk was approx .25"x.25"x.5" piece of freeze dried liver.

4. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

I just started using the freeze dried salmon for my nearly toothless kitty too. I cut them up into small traditional "treat" size pieces and put them in their own small tuperware container. she has no problem eating the small ones.

5. static

static Member

Yeah he was able to eat it once cut up. I am just wondering if there are some I wouldn't have to cut. No signs of infection now but I think he is due for a cleaning.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

My toothless cats can eat EVO dry kibble (8% carbs) as a treat.

If the quantity isn't too much per day, it doesn't seem to kick up the blood sugar (approx 8 to 10 pieces).

When Tiggy gets too much (a tablespoon or more), it does increase his blood sugar. (the canned food that we feed is less than 4% carbs)

7. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Most freeze dried treats are soft enough for even a toothless cat to eat. You can even soak the treat in water to soften it up even more and let your cat drink the "gravy" as well. I prefered to feed the Real Topper brand of treats because they were very soft. I found Halo Liv-A-Littles too hard but maybe it was just that one container I had.

8. static

static Member

Maybe they're not freeze-dried, I don't know. It's like a jerky, but chicken is the only ingredient.

9. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

My Zollidoot had all her teeth out due to stomatitis at age 3. Her favorite snacks:

- people tuna in water (mashed a bit)
    - freeze dried salmon (dust and crushed/small pieces)
    - short shreds of chicken breast or pork chop
    - occasional bit of sliced turkey or chicken

If you are looking for something already bite sized, I suggest Wild Side freeze dried salmon. Not only are the square chunks cut small, they are very dry and crispy so they crumble easily. But I just finger crush some of the Petsmart salmon if I haven't been able to get any Wild Side.

laur

10. static

static Member

Which food is that (the 4% carbs?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.