? Question about Stevia in compounded steroid?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sandscout, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandscout

sandscout Member

Hi all, I was picking up a prescription for budesonide today at the compounding pharmacy for Scout - he’s my pancreatitis and kitty (we’re treating for diarrhea possibly the result of IBD.)

This pharmacy is really good about calling ahead to ask if I want chicken or fish flavor in the med to make it easier to give. I had told them no, he’s on a LID and can’t have anything with chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc., and also no sorbitol as he has FD.

After paying, I was leaving with my med and casually asked the pharmacist if the budesonide had a bad or bitter taste to it; he said, “a little”, & told me he adds Stevia to help make it easier to give to the pet.

As I left the pharmacy this bothered me to the point that I turned around and went back inside. Scout’s had such a sensitive system, I told the pharmacist that I didn’t feel comfortable giving him the med with the Stevia in it. I told him it was my mistake for not being clear about additives during our phone call. I asked him for a do-over, I’d pay for the new batch, no problem & he was ok with that.

Started to doubt myself on the way home-so I thought I’d ask here: does anyone have any experience with the pharmacy using an additive such as Stevia in it, and does it seem quite right to you? (Maybe it’s my crazy cat-lady tendencies I don’t know )
    Any advice you be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Susan

2. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

My cat's gabapentin was compounded and had stevia in it. I googled it before leaving the pharmacy and the ASPCA website stated that it was non-toxic for a cat so we used it. It did not affect Shoes' bg.

Sylvie and Ana & Frosty (GA) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.