Question about traveling with Spooky and not giving him his insulin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Jinxy, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jinxy

Jinxy Member

On January 31st, I will be traveling with Spooky and my other cat to visit my boyfriend in Wisconsin for 2 weeks I will be on the road for 5 hours. I was wondering if I should skip his insulin the night before I leave and also the next day. If you look at his chart on January 13th, you will see that I skipped it, and I also did the night before I left. The reason for skipping is because I didn’t want to take any chances of traveling with a hypo cat. And when I’m on the road on the 31st, the high is only supposed to be -8. And I don’t want a hypo cat then either.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If his numbers continue in the current range you likely could give insulin both PM before and AM of your trip. You could skip AM of your trip if you're more comfortable with that or even give a half dose. I don't think skipping the night before is necessary.

3. Jinxy

Jinxy Member

Thank you so much for the advice! I think I’ll give him his shot the night before, but I’ll skip his morning shot. I know traveling can be very stressful on a cat or dog.

Kris & Teasel likes this.