Question about using Adequan

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I just started using Adequan.I took the little plastic cap off the vial now it won't go back on? It seems unsanitary not to cover it?
    The syringes are Terumo & after the injection a large drop of Adequan stays in the syringe? I tried every which way to squeeze it out & it doesn't come out? I'm not used to using this syringe I can't imagine that every time i use these it's going to waste some of the Adequan?

I just used my Insulin syringe & drew out 1 unit of Adequan from the Terumo syringe? That seems like a lot to waste!

Also the needle is so much larger than the insulin Syringe. Is there a way to convert the Ml to Units so I can just use my Insulin syringes?

The dose is only .12 Isn't that low ?My Ravan weighs 13 lbs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I just use insulin syringes for Adequan for my two civi's.
    The plastic cap is just an anti-tampering (to detect tampering). It is not made to be reuses since a, as you found out, it does not go back on. I buy the two-pack of Adequan and it comes in a plastic container and I just put it back in the plastic packaging. You can wipe the top befor using with an alcohol socked cotton pad, Just make sure that any excess alcohol evaporates from the top before inserting the needle.
    0.12 ml (12 units on a U100 syringe) is low. My two cats weigh 9-10 pounds and get 0.23 ml as a monthly maintenance dose. For dosing see:
    https://www.petplace.com/article/dr...-glycosaminoglycan-adequan-for-dogs-and-cats/

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  3. JoyBee&Ravan

@Larry and Kitties
    I thought the dose was too low also. I'd like to give .23ml.How much would that be on an insulin syringe? Like 2 1/4 units?

Ravan is having a difficult time walking I want to make sure I give him enough to make a difference. Is there any danger giving him too much?

I'm not used to using the syringes they gave me I'd be more comfortable using my Insulin syringes

4. Larry and Kitties

0.23 ml would be 23 units in U100 syringe (U100 means 100 units per ml)

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  5. JoyBee&Ravan

Thank You:)

6. JoyBee&Ravan

@Lary and Kitties

My Vet charged me $75 for one vial of Adequan. For me that's a lot of money. Do you know of anyplace to get it for Less?
    I'm not used to using a vial. Do I shoot air into it before I draw the Adequan? When I put 25 units into the insulin syringe it looks like a huge amount! I wonder how long one vile will last?

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That's actually a good price from a vet. My vet charged me $108. I now order two at a time from Valleyvet.com. I think they were $139 so on par with what your vet charges.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  8. JoyBee&Ravan

@JanetNJ

I'm not familiar with using a Vial. Do I inject air into the Vial before drawing out the Adequan?

9. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

You just put the needle in the vial and pull it back so the tip is in the fluid. Then hold the vial upside down, fill the syringe to the mark just past the amount you want, then tap the syringe with your finger to get out any air bubbles while pushing the plunger in so it goes to the line of the amount you want to inject.

My adequan cost $143 for two vials(10ml total) at Cosco. Unfortunately, the expiration date is in only 3 months, and I'll still have over 7 mls of the medicine left at that time. I just started using it last month for my kitty's arthritis and it's working. It took over a month before I saw improvement for my cat. She's been getting up onto the computer to help me type again:) My cat gets 0.25 ml dose of adequan for pain and she weighs 11lbs.

JoyBee&Ravan and JanetNJ like this.
  10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I don't.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  11. JoyBee&Ravan

@Beta kitty

I asked the Pharmacist & he told me to inject the same amount of air as the dose would be into the vile first. He said if i didn't there would be a small amount of Adequan liquid trapped in the tip of the syringe.
    So each time I'd lose that amount of Adequan? This is using the Terumo Syringe 1cc/ml. The first time I used the vial I DID have an amount of Adequan trapped up on top & it would not come out. I used an insulin syringe to pull it
    out & it was about 1 full unit of adequan that i would of throw away if i hadn't noticed it.

I now switched to an insulin syringe & it doesn't appear to do that.

The amount you pay is what my Vet sells it to me for,$75 each. I found the Generic Brand "Ichon" online It only costs $26. I wonder if anyone has used it?
    http://www.allivet.com/p-2652-ichon...MI47TF7bTw3AIVCQ9pCh0EUwzsEAQYBCABEgIE8fD_BwE

12. Larry and Kitties

13. JoyBee&Ravan

@Larry and Kitties
    JUST because the chemical name is the same does not mean the molecular structure, and therefore it's mode of operation, is the same. And, in this case, the molecular structure is not the same. Therefore, *not generic*

I have been using Ichon in place of Adequan for my 20 year old horse for over a year and it is amazing.

Darn! Conflicting information/ opinions. Not sure what to do. If I had a load of money I'd have no problem using Adequan. :(

14. JoyBee&Ravan

I watched a Video of a woman drawing insulin out of a Syringe. For one unit she draws 2 units & squirts the second one into the sink so it doesn't contaminate the vial.

WELL IT MUST BE VERY NICE TO HAVE THE MONEY TO THROW AWAY HALF OF THE INSULIN! I cannot afford to do that. I draw ,as carefully as I can, the dose out & if I go over I do inject it back into the syringe. So far I haven't had a problem.

Just buying all that's needed for my Kitty & the testing & Vet visits has put me in Debit. Tossing anything out is unthinkable!

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.