Question about Victor's PMPS Number

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Just took Victor's PMPS test and his number is 409 and I was just wondering if anyone can take a look at his SS and tell me if that seems out of place. I'm probably just being overly worried, but would like your guys' opinions.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's more than high enough to give the 2U dose.

I wouldn't skip his insulin unless his PS was below 200

As long as you're feeding the W/D, his numbers are probably going to stay pretty high. We really need to get those numbers down some or you may be risking the development of ketones.

3. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

So tonight's number doesn't seem out of place compared to the others on his SS? I was wondering if we should maybe re-test.

I will make sure he gets the full dose tonight. I know it's not good to skip his insulin, but he sometimes doesn't eat enough of his food for a full dose and we haven't quite gotten the hang of figuring out what to reduce it to based on what's left in his bowl.

4. Chris & China (GA)

No it doesn't.....he's had several other 400+ Pre-shots and those 300's are close enough to 400 that they could be considered pretty much just as high

5. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Okay, thank you. Sorry for being so...paranoid, I guess.

I think it's been mentioned that Friskies Pate or Fancy Feast "Classic" are good choices for switching to wet food, right? How many cans should we get and how exactly do you go about measuring those to make sure they get enough of it to cover the insulin?

Oh and we did also buy the Relion brand Ketone Test Strips, I'm just not sure how to go about getting a urine sample.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  6. Chris & China (GA)

yes, the Fancy Feast classics and Friskies pate's are good choices, but there's no "measuring to cover the insulin"

You want to feed enough calories to maintain a good weight for your cat. There's no set amount you feed that correlates with the insulin.

The FF classics are about 85-90 calories per 3oz can. You can see a more exact calorie count on the FOOD CHART

The starting number of calories you should feed is [13.5 x weight] + 70....so if your cat's ideal weight is 10lbs, you'd want to shoot for 205 calories per day. If the cat needs to gain weight, you increase the number of calories....if they need to lose weight, you reduce the number of calories.

Here are some Urine Testing Tips

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.