Question for ProZinc users

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teresa and Tres, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa and Tres

Teresa and Tres New Member

Sorry- also posted to the PZI group. Thank you for any feedback!

Tres has been on PZI for a long time and done really well on it. Today we switched from the discontinued PZI to ProZinc. His blood sugar this morning was at 280 (before breakfast and his shot). I've been testing him every 2 hours- and it has gone steadily up throughout the day. It's at 484 now. I don't know whether to give ProZinc again- does it take a couple of days to start working? Or go back to the discontinued PZI (I have a little left) for his evening shot. Obviously can't reach the vet. If anyone has had experience going from one to the other- I would really appreciate any feedback. (He was getting 1 +1/3 units of PZI. I gave him 1 unit of ProZinc this morning. Also he eats only wet low carb Fancy Feast.)

Thank you!

Teresa and Tres

2. Shoefits2006

Shoefits2006 New Member

My little Ratty is on ProZinc and I was told it could take 3 weeks or longer to get her stabilized (just diagnosed as diabetic end of March). She is up to 3 1/2 units twice a day now and is doing much better. Her glucose levels on last week's curve varied from 480 down to 80. I have her on a strict diet of Science Diet W/D canned and dry food.

Good luck.

Donna and Ratty

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Teresa - Prozinc appears to be quite different in that it takes a long time to 'settle'

Donna - why WD? this is a very old school food that is very nutrient poor...try reading Dr Lisa's page at www.catinfo.org and consider switching! But if you do, be cautious as it could lower insulin requirements (a good thing!)

Jen

4. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Science diet W/D is very high in carbs, and not really a good food nutritionally. The canned variety is 26% in carbs. The dry is 37% carb content!!
    If you fed Ratty a lower carb content food, chances are VERY high that Ratty would need much less insulin on a daily basis. I assume that you are home testing? If so, why not change to a better food for Ratty?

Here is the link to the food charts - look for CANNED foods that are under 10% in carbs. I feed my diabetic canned foods that are 5%, or less in carb value and he no longer needs insulin injections due to what he eats. As you can see, there are many, many choices available and most of them can be purchased at the grocery store, Wal-Mart, Petsmart, and Petco. AND they are much less expensive than WD :)

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html
    http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html
    http://binkyspage.tripod.com/dryfood.html

One thing - DO NOT change Ratty's diet unless you are home testing regularly. His glucose values WILL drop sharply on a lower carb content food and unless you are home testing and lower his insulin dose, it could be dangerous.

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.