question: NO MORE PZI? What now?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by abigailnmax, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abigailnmax

abigailnmax New Member

I am on my last bottle of PZI IDEXX for my cat. She has been diabetic for 5 yrs now, and truthfully, no the most regulated. But I am doing the best I can. (FYI: I used to post under dixiendallas, but lost my registration info so now I am Abigailnmax)
    So, when I found out about PZI no longer being produced, I bought the last few bottles up. Now the last one is about 1/2 empty and I am starting to panic.
    What is everyone using for insulin? What is the status of PZI? What should I do?
    My cat is 13 yrs old, on 2.5 units of PZI 2 times daily. Eats only wet food, mainly 9lives and whiskas (I know not ideal, but again, the best I can do. She would rather STARVE than eat the diabetic food. I also have 3 other cats and a dog and a preschooler and a full time job.)
    So, any suggestions on a new insulin would be appreicated. What about BCP (compounded PZI)
    my vet is not fond of the compounded stuff due to variability in strength (according to her)
    but will probably work with me if I was demanding.

HELP!

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

ProZinc is similar to IDEXX and is manufactured (and FDA approved so your vet should have no problem).
    Their website is here: http://www.prozinc.us/. I know some people here have switched and kept the same dose. BCP is also a good PZI.

Lantus and Levemir are two other good choices. They are for humans, but work well in cats.

3. Terry and Puttz

Terry and Puttz Member

My vet has us switched to ProZinc from Vetsulin, so far, so good....I am posting results of this new insulin as my SugarKitty is adjusting, check the PZI board for updates if you like...

4. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

What Karen said. Lantus and Levemir are what many cats have been going onto since Idexx made their announcement; most of the folks who wanted to switch to something close to PZI-Vet switched to a compounded form of PZI, frequently that made by BCP, though you may well be able to find a local compounding pharmacy that will make it for you (and save you shipping costs). ProZinc is a new insulin made by BIV, who bought the rights to PZI-Vet from Idexx and are touting it as the replacement insulin. Each of them has their plussesd and minusses; you can get some of those from reading the stickies in each forum, or ask what folks their opinions of the insulins are. Or you can try posting in Supply Cabinet to see if anyone has any PZI-Vet left over to spare.

Also, I wrote the following in response to someone else's question on the subject about a month ago:

5. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Come on over to the PZI group: viewforum.php?f=24

We are getting more and more kitties making the switch from PZI to ProZinc. Hope to see you in the PZI ISG.

6. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I am in the same situationan and I am going with ProZinc. I already have the ProZinc and I Am finshing the last of the Pzi Vet. My vet wanted to switch to lantus but I decided to go with ProZinc since it is similiar to Pzi Vet. The only reason I didn't want to go with Lantus is I am already familiar with Pzi Vet and figured ProZinc would be easier to switch to. I did tell my vet that if we did not get results with the ProZinc that Lantus would be the second choice. I would suggest going to the PZI forum and post questions there. I asked questions and did my own research and that is how I made my decision and I am comfortable with it. Keep us posted on what you decide. :D

David

7. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

We switched to ProZinc from PZI Vet. Things went fine. If you want specifics please come on over to the PZI Insulin Support Group. There is a Sticky at the top of the PZI forum with a sources list of where to get ProZinc at the best prices.

A 50 cat study has been done on the switch from PZI Vet to ProZinc with a 1:1 dosing that went well. You can read it here:
    http://www.vetlearn.com/Media/Publicati ... 2_24_0.pdf

As for question about the BCP, it is a good option too. Your vet is right about the potential for variability however IMHO I'd be more inclined to trust BCP compounded EDIT: over a random pharmacy's compounded. A plus on the ProZinc [as opposed to BCP] side is that it is available from many different sources and that it's shelf life is 2 years [from date of manufacture] vs 6 months for BCP. Price wise it's difficult to know the difference since BCP will not give a price for their insulin to the end user [the price is whatever the vet decides to charge].

8. presouzkitty

presouzkitty New Member

I wanted to add my take on the BCP, My kitty was on idexx for 6 years and I too stock piled what I could until Feb 18th I started on BCP. If I got it through my VET it was over 80.00 bucks but sine she decided not to carry it she writes me a scrpit and I get it direct from the Source. It costs me 58.00 shipped over night to CA, a far cry LESS than I was paying 109-120.00 for my PZI IDEXX from same VET she raised or lower all the time.. UGH.. Connies seems to be doing ok on BCP, the first week she was hungry, more than usual, she soon settled even though the BG was pretty much the same as PZI, I was so scared for almost 2 years since I heard it was not going to be around any more.. Im happy I am paying less ordering direct, and yes they dont give prices out unless you have your vet call and send a script for you. HOPE THIS HELPS!! Oh yes I used the same dose as PZI..

*************************************************************************************************************

9. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for your awesome tips on procuring BCP! I may add some of this to the sticky in the PZI forum. For the $58 shipped did you get 10ml of the U-40? Do you know the base price without shipping?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.