Question on Bloody discharge from civie's eye

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by M L and Cleo (GA), May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

My civie Beanie (11yrs old) has been having a little green gunk off and on coming out of one eye for the last week or so.

Tonight I went to move her from my desk chair so I could sit down at the computer and I checked her eyes just to see if anything was there and noticed something darker than normal so I got a tissue and wiped it.

Instead of the green gunk it was bloody. It was only a little bit but it still worried me.

In all my years of having cats I've never had anything like that show up from their eyes.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing it? I'll probably call the vet in the morning but thought I'd check here tonight.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

This does not sound like the normal. Eye gunk to me. If really green could be an infectioon or something. Has the green gunk gotten hard crsusty like. If yes the blood could be from picking or wiping the gunk. May not be anything serious. But definitely worth a vet visit to be sure

Paws crossed that its not a big deall and drops opr so can fix it.

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Hope you talked with or gone to the vet? That does sound concerning. I hope Beanie is okay. Vet is definitley in order.

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Cats tears/saliva oxidize and turn reddish when they hit the air, thats why many cats have dark streaks in the corner of their eyes, the tear ducts are blocked.. so its possible that normally Beanies do not "leak" but the green crusties have blocked the ducts leading to the tear overflow. Maybe some conjunctivitis stuff? couldnt hurt to have it checked out.
    I hope Beanies ok!

5. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

Thanks all.

I called my vet this morning; unfortunately he had surgery yesterday and won't be in to the office till Monday. They called him at home to tell him about Beanie and then called me back.

We are going to wait and go in on Monday. If her eye seems to get worse today or Friday, I can call and they will refer me to another vet.

She is acting normally and I didn't see any more bloody stuff this morning so I don't think it will hurt to wait till Monday. (I would go to somebody else but I just paid off my previous vet bill this week and spent all my extra money. Since I have been going to my vet for about 17 years now, they let me pay monthly if I have a big bill but most of the other vets in town require payment at office visit and don't do a payment plan especially with new clients.)

I will watch her closely and if something changes I will try and go somewhere else.

Thanks for your help.

6. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Like Lisa said, Sam and Lilly Grace's discharge is brownish, reddish in color. I usually dab with a tissue to remove. But they've had it for their whole lives, it's normal for them.

I tend to agree with your plan, if she's acting fine, wait, if not go sooner. Don't know if allergy season has anything to do with it. We have lots of pollen up here in the Northeast, it's making Tucker's ears waxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.