Question on food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Olive & Paula, Dec 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

What method are we going by to determine carbs?

DME

DMB

As Fed

I need to find out about some and I want to make sure I ask for the method we use.

I can't believe freeze dried raw can be over 15%.

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

TNA is what is used on Dr. Lisa Pierson's cat food chart. (TNA = As Fed) From a real can of food that has been tested in a lab.

"The data used to calculate the values on this chart are from Typical Nutrient Analysis (TNA) data - not the Guaranteed Analysis (GA) data which is listed on the product’s package (can/pouch/bag). GA values are reported as minimums and maximums and are, by definition, inaccurate since there is no ceiling or floor, respectively."

"Data accuracy: Even though TNA data are more precise than GA data, the values on this chart should be taken as very loose approximations. All foods vary in their nutrient composition and, therefore, commercial food formulations will vary from batch-to-batch."

3. Olive & Paula

Thank you Deb. I thought I read Dr Lisa now used as fed. Certainly makes sense as that is what they are eating.

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Took the quoted sentences directly from her food chart posted in the sticky in Feline Health main forum. It's the 2017 version that is found at the top of the Feline Health forum labeled Dr. Pierson - New Food Chart.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

6. Olive & Paula

The ones I'm trying to find out are not on the list. So I'm emailing the companies but need to know what method to ask for. Dr Lisa doesn't use DMB anymore.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Marje’s post tells you how to calculate from either As Fed or DMB.

8. Olive & Paula

I've tried to do the calculations. Even tried to set it up on pc to do it automatically so I could put it on phone and be handy in store. There are to many steps and it's confusing.

I'm no math whiz, but pretty good in excel. Maybe it was just a bad day. I'll give it another shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.