question on humulin N/ Rebound?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by jan and Hep and sara (GA), Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

The poor Kitty,.Rising bg's in response to rising doses certainly rings my rebound bell loudly amongst many concerns about the speed at which that dose was reached,
    I personally would consider reducing current dose by half, test for ketones and get a curve after about 36 hours on the new dose, testing as much as possible prior to that.
    You should see the levels come down as a response this.
    If that is the case, a further reduction to a "start over" dose like 1 unit, may be the way to go, but by cutting dose in half to start, you don't have to start over, if the levels do not come because perhaps insulin resistance is now happening, and put kitty further at risk of ketones etc.
    Does that make sense?

Please come back and let us know what happens and a spread sheet would be a great help if she can do one.

3. Sweetgrass & the Furries

ps... I would expect kitty to need a little more insulin on dry food than we see with kitties on wet food. I would only change up one thing at a time right now..that dry food has probably keptHep from a crash.

Once the levels come down and a dose has been adjusted, I would tlak to her about what a wet food diet can do.

Does kitty have any other medical issues?
    She should be perhaps looking for a vet she likes as well.......and a different insulin in the long term. We know how important it is to find a vet to work in partnership while treating FD.

4. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

Thanks Kimmiee,

I'll keep you posted.

jan and sara

5. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

Kimmee,

First of all thanks for responding. How long does a vial of N usually last? Because when I went over there today and saw Hep just kinda laying around unless he went to get water. It occured to me that she has been using this vial for a little over 2 months. [9 weeks] I know when sara was on vetsulin it was good for about 1 month. Is the same true with N?

So she is going with the plan of giving him half the dose with pm dose. But I stongly believe that this insulin has probley pooped out and thats why he has been getting worse, because he isn't getting any.

If thats true than if she where to get a new vial and give him the dose thats hes on now [6U]............. Could be very scary.

The vets just told her that this vial "would last a long time."

She is checking for keytones, I told her at this point of the game how important that is.

We checked his bg and it was 388.

Do I just keep adding on to this thread when I have a update? Are you notified by email when somebody responds. Or do I start a new thread, and you just check ISG?

Thanks so much again Kimmee,

jan and sara

6. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

N is a Humulin, same as L and U were till discontinued, and some of us used it till it was almost gone. There also was the theory of after 100 pokes with a syringe you should start a new bottle. Basically the Humulins were a lot cheaper so we could pitch and buy new. Here in MI no script ever needed for the Humulins. I wish they'd start making L and U again. I liked U!

7. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Hi, please go ahead and start a new thread for each day :)

I would certainly question the bottle, but I am really concerned about how sick Hep is sounding. He needs to get to a vet that knows about diabetes asap. Perhaps post general location on health and ask for vet referals?

Please have her also consider reducing that dose as we discussed..this is not right..poor kitty. :(

At what point after the insulin was that reading?

I am not able to help much right now, so please also cross post on health for more eyes okay?

8. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

Kimmee,

I have a wonderful vet and I have told her to about her. She works with me which as you know is key. So we have that covered.

The # was am+6.

Thanks, will keep you posted.

jan and sara

9. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Oh that is really god and I saw on your other thread that she is reducing tomorrow.
    Good, and ketone like crazy. I am worried :(
    Can she get to a vet in the next couple of days do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.