Question on meters

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Indigo, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo

Indigo Member

Jackson is my 13 year old tabby rescue from an animal shelter. I have some questions regarding meters. I don't have a problem buying the alpha track that's calibrated supposedly for cats. But I need to know what the differences are such as...

is there a difference in numbers in human blood and Feline blood glucose,?

Do I have to calibrate the meter differently and is that difficult?

I see that you can use insulin X strips with the alpha track to save money, are the readings accurate?

Please forgive me but we are new to this, having no experience whatsoever with diabetes Management in humans or animals we just want our boy to have the absolute best life that he can have. And I am so grateful for this forum. He is on two units of prozinc 2 * a day. He has had one diabetic curve at the vet and this is what got him on insulin. The visit before that we had taken him in because he just wasn't himself and his sugar was close to 600. He eats Daves cat food 95% one half can morning 1/2 evening and 1/2 during the day

Paigeworthy likes this.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome. Human meters do read lower than pet specific meters, but we realize that and act accordingly. @JanetNJ has done comparison testing using the insulinx strips and they seem very accurate. Since you’re using prozinc you may want to check out the yellow stickies at the top of the prozinc page. There is some great info in them. Check it out and ask any questions either in that forum or back here in the health forum.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

3. Indigo

Indigo Member

Thank you I appreciate the information regarding human meters and the fact that they do read lower but you take steps to accommodate for that reading. We are new to the form and have yet to check out the prozinc page or the yellow stickies available going there now, I do know one thing I came into this forum frightened, uneducated with a starving cat and I already know more than I started with much appreciated

JanetNJ, Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.
  4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

It really will get easier. Be sure to ask anything you don’t understand- there are no stupid questions. We were all newbies at one time or another!

Indigo and Amanda and a Loudogg like this.
  5. Indigo

Indigo Member

I so appreciate that, because I am a newbie! Went over to the insulin page did some reading learned a lot and also updated my signature now that I know what it's for thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.