Question on timing of feeding with BG tests and Injections

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cinnie Cole, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Hi! So Zoot! is anxiously awaiting his dinner - normally given at 4:30 PM. I will be testing his BG and giving him is PM injection at 7:00 PM. Is that a sufficient amount of time after eating to give him his insulin?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The normal sequence is test, feed then give shot, and those usually happen within a few minutes of each other rather than waiting hours after feeding to give the shot.

3. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Thanks! How important is it to have the doses be 12 hours apart?

Edit: We are going to wait for the additional 2 1/2 hours to feed them all so he has exactly 12 hours between doses and feedings. Just didn't realize it would necessitate changing the feeding habits for all of the cats (he is separated but we feed them all at the same time). He would go nuts seeing all the other cats get fed and not be able to eat, too.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  4. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

I have been told free feeding is ok for cats on Lantus who aren’t overweight. Anyone feel differently? Small meals are ok with many cats too, I understand.

5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Zoot! in repose. Sadly, at 23.5 lb, free feeding is not an option yet. :joyful:

IMG_7043 (2).jpg

Idjit's mom likes this.
  6. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Awww. So cute though.

7. Autumn'sMom

Autumn'sMom New Member

I believe that the general consensus is that food should be withheld for (at least) 2 hours prior to a BG reading, so your timetable seems good to me.
    Also, food should be provided just before or just after giving insulin as well. With lantus, maintaining a 12/12 insulin shooting schedule is extremely important. Other than the 2 hours prior to BG reading, the feeding schedule has a lot a room for individualization. Some people (like me) free feed, others do just 2 meals, some do multiple mini meals. The stickies at the top of the lantus forum contain tons of invaluable information. If you haven't already, I strongly suggest reading through them all (I re-read them fairly often, and almost always glean some new insights or info when I do).

My personal routine is, BG, insulin, food (all within ~5 minutes). My cats (1 diabetic, 3 civvies) are free-fed canned food.

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  8. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I feed my girls four wet food meals a day (every 6 hours), and their leftovers remain out for grazing. This is not quite 'free' feeding since they get a certain amount of food/calories each day, it is just up to them when they eat it. So, something like that might work for you. The AAHA guidelines indicate that having multiple small meals is fine. It is not necessary to feed only once every 12 hours.

The 'rule' about making sure they do not have food for at least 2 hours before their pre-shot test is really just a recommendation, particularly for someone just starting out, so that the pre-shot test result will not be impacted by food (which can raise glucose), and you can know it is safe to give the intended insulin dose. That is most important with the insulins that are faster acting and can cause steeper drops. It is not as much so with Lantus and Levemir.

Have you been to the Lantus forum yet? That is a good place for you to find information and get advice from people who use that specific insulin. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  9. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I am heading over to the Lantus forum shortly. We are also going to give him some food at +5 tonight after we get a BG - it might calm him a little in the morning if he hasn't had to wait 12 hours for the next meal. Thanks for the advice!

10. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Adorable! just adorable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.