Question on urine output

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JennC & Diago, Dec 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

Hi All -

I have a question about urine output. This isn't for my diabetic kitty but one of my others. Over the last few days I noticed my 4 year old kitty has been producing more urine in her clumps and it seems dilute. I'm currently feeding my three cats Dr. Elseys Clean Protein Chicken flavor and Fancy feast chicken pate with added water at night. I've been reading online and see that the FF chicken feast has high phosphorus which isn't very good for kidneys. I can't find what Dr. Elsey's CP levels are. Could this be causing her to urinate more? She's only going about 4-5 times per day but it's just a lot more than usual when she goes.

Overall health seems good, she isn't drinking a ton or losing weight. Only noticeable change is the amount of urine. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Reason for edit: Updated to say the urine seems dilute not like concentrate.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

High phosphorus creates no problem for good kidneys. With kidney degradation the kidneys can't filter out phosphorous well and if the food has too high phosphorous the blood level of phosphorus increases too much.
    Besides diabetes, high urine output can be caused by kidney problems and hyperthyroidism

JennC & Diago and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Not too sure what you mean when you say, "it's like a concentrate" - even through the litter clumping the urine, does it have a strong smell or...?

Extra output could also be from the added water to the canned food, and however much extra she might drinking from the water bowl/pot itself. How much added water do you use in the wet food, and do you know roughly how often she visits the water bowl..?

I agree with Larry though and would ask the vet for a full blood panel. It can be pricey, but well worth it. :)

Also, the size of the bladder can factor in. My Fena has a big one, so she pees maybe 3-4 times a day. But my other cat Mao has a very small bladder (think golf ball size clump in the litter box) so he pees A LOT more since he fills up to "omg gotta go!" level much quicker.

4. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

I'm not sure why this didn't send me an email. I actually stopped doing the wet food this week as a trial and the size of the clumps have gotten smaller. I had my original terminology mixed up. I meant to say it's more dilute, when I scoop some of the clumps go right to the bottom of the litter box and don't fully clump. I'm thinking my youngest kitty is like what you mention above, she waits to go so has a bit more when she goes. I have a good mix of clumps lol, some golf ball, other tennis ball size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.