Question Re BG levels and increased calories

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by linda and guinness, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linda and guinness

linda and guinness Member

So I posted a couple of weeks ago about the fact that my OTJ cat, Guinness was constantly meowing and begging for food. After looking at the amount of calories I was feeding him, and looking at some of the advice given, I readjusted his food and increased his calories. He was slowly losing weight before I increased the calories.

My question is this. I just tested his BG (I test every couple of weeks to see how he's doing) and he was an 82 (yes, I know that's a good number), but before he was hovering in the mid-50's. Is it possible that an increase in calories and amount of food would translate into slightly higher numbers? Just wondering. I'll keep my eye on his numbers over the next week or so and see what might be going on. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

yes, but that is a lovely normal number -- so no worries yet :smile:

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

The number might be higher depending on when you tested him in relation to when he last ate.

4. linda and guinness

Well, I always test him at the same time each time I test him, and like I said it's a 30 point increase over his average (which is around 55). I'm just wondering if an increase in calories could result in an increase in BG? Since this is higher than his average, I just thought the change would account for it. He's also gained back all his weight in two weeks of increased calories (I only increased his calories by about 50 more per day). He's back to 17lbs, when I had him down to 16.4 (over a 4 month time frame). I know his 82 is a fine number, I'm not complaining...just looking at the change in numbers, the 30pt increase.

5. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

For what it's worth, I feel like when Quincy is eating less overall, his BGs tend to run lower too. And that's even given the same amount of time elapsed between meals and BG test time.

6. linda and guinness

Thanks for the reply. That's what I think is happening here and I was just looking for some confirmation. It makes since since the only change has been an increase in calories and that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.