Question regarding injection technique

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ReaAnn & Big Hoss, Dec 6, 2018.

1. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but is it ABSOLUTELY necessary to "pinch and tent the skin" when giving an injection? How much does it actually affect the absorption of the insulin if you don't pinch and tent? I ask because it's basically impossible to pinch and tent the skin of my big, fat boy. I tried it many times when I first started injecting him and his skin is just too... tight? Thick? Full of fat? I'm not sure but it doesn't "pinch". So I grasp his fur and pull his skin up and away from his body and inject at a 45 degree angle into the lifted skin. I'm sure I'm not injecting into his muscle and I've only ever given one fur-shot when he moved right as I was injecting. He doesn't seem to mind getting injected, so it must not hurt very much. I'm 2 months into this, so I guess I should have asked this earlier, but better late than never. I pick a different location to inject each time - on his sides over his ribs (sometimes a little lower toward his belly) and back on the sides of his flanks - and I alternate sides of his body as well. So does EVERYONE use the pinch-and-tent method and do I need to make another effort to try to pinch his skin or am I doing OK by just pulling it up and injecting?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The insulin will be absorbed differently if you shoot into muscle. I'd discourage that approach. The reason being that Lantus is deposited into fat tissue as micro crystals. The crystals dissolve over time which gives Lantus its duration.

However, I pretty much did what you are asking 00 I would pull up the skin and inject into the space between the skin and muscle. It may not be "perfect" technique, but it worked for 6.5 years. In addition, I gave scruff shots. Any time I tried to inject someplace else, I either gave a fur shot or I got a poisonous look from Gabby. ("If you try that again, you're losing an arm.")

3. Joanne&TinySole

Joanne&TinySole Well-Known Member

I think whatever method th t works for you is ok. As long as the needle is getting in, sub-cutaneous there should not be an issue.

I found it easier to tent/inject when Tiny had more fat on her, but that is still my method even with her resolving fat! :cool: Insulin is stored in the fatty tissue, I believe, so if it'd getting in, it's working!

4. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

Great! Good to know. Thanks. I'm definitely shooting under the skin and not into muscle, that much I know. But I think his skin is too full of cat to allow pinching. LOL! So the pull and shoot method is about all I have to work with. :D

5. LexaJoy

LexaJoy Member

Lol, aw. Big boy, throwing curve balls. Good on you for working it out!