Question regarding Merrick's new formulations

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Fast Eddie, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Member

Eddie has been eating mostly Merrick's cowboy cookout since his initial diagnosis 2 years ago. I managed to get his weight down from 21 to 14 pounds, however he has continued to lose weight, 3 pounds in the past year. He is really rather skinny. Some of his weight loss can be attributed to him relapsing into diabetes an me not noticing. Now that his blood sugars are coming back into normal range, I hope he can gain some weight with his usual diet but I don't want to over do it on carbs.

Any suggestions on food choice. I also am interested if anyone has done any protein carb, fat ratios on the new formulations that merrick has out. Eddie REALLY likes the turkey pate, practically finishes his portion before I can get a blood test out of him.

I am considering changing his food to something less expensive but am not sure what is a good choice.

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Nice numbers.. And looks like he earned a 0.25 dose decrease too last night! (Reduce every time he goes under 2.8)

How much does he eat a day? Maybe you need to feed more. Or check the food list and see if you can find a low carb more calorie dense food.. http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

He should start to put weight back on now his BG is better.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I feed Friskies pates, as I've 15 catd in the house.

While the 5 heat waifs (summer strays 2 years ago) were still juveniles and scrawny, I was feeding Wellness to allow them to catch up on groceries (a bit higher fat content). I just couldn't afford that forever with 15 to feed. They all filled in nicely and are quite healthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.