? Question Regarding needles...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mogmom and Goofus, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I'm needing to order needles soon and I'm wondering if I can use use a smaller/finer needle. ( we seem to be xperiencing a lot of bent needles lately) I currently have 29 gauge, 1/2 in, 1/2 cc needles. Goof gets 2 units of ProZinc, twice daily. I'd like half unit markings on them if possible, any suggestions?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes, mes, most of us here use the thinner 30 or 31 gauge needles. Note the the 31 gauge needles are only available in the shorter 5/16 inch length

3. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Assuming the needle is bending while you're inserting it...are you making sure the bevel is facing upwards? It makes a BIG difference with the amount of resistance. And pain.

If your injection technique is not honed, a thinner needle may not solve the problem.
    Try searching ADW for "30ga 1/2inch 1/3cc half mark" - you should get a ton of results.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

From my recent reading here I gather that you can get duff batches of syringes where the needles are a bit blunt. Could be another possible reason why they might bend in use (cf. being bent coming out of the packet).

Mogs

Andy & Pimp likes this.
  5. Mogmom and Goofus

Thanks for the info all. Sorry it took so long to reply but with all that happened with Mouse, I was in no shape to pay attention.

I guess I've never paid any attention the which direction the bevel was, but I did this morning and it slipped right in with very little resistance, so I will now.

It's only recently that I've had the needle bending problem, so I wonder if it's something with the new bag I opened, but I'm going to order the 30 gauge. I'm a little nervous about going with shorter needles as I'm concerned that it won't go deep enough to get the insulin in. Has anyone tried them and had a problem with that? Goof has long'ish fur, but not really long.

6. Mogmom and Goofus

Would duff be another word for bulk? Bulk meaning (in the case) "many in a bag", because, yes, that's how I buy them.

7. Mogmom and Goofus

I just looked at ADW for needles, but the only 30 or 31 gauge are listed for u100 insulin. Is the a conversion for u40? There were also 5/16 and 1/4 inch, but again, for u100.

8. Andy & Pimp

:bighug:Sorry to hear about Mouse.

I think Mogs meant "bad". I would tend to agree if it's been the last batch specifically. You can use u100 syringes for u40 insulin, there is a conversion chart here somewhere or you can simply multiply by 2.5. 1 unit u40=2.5 units u100.

I never had a furshot after switching to shorter needles, YMMV.

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

She certainly did. Slang use of 'duff' = bad, rubbish, defective.

Sending more :bighug:s to you, Tammy. I'm very sorry about Mouse. :(

Mogs

10. Mogmom and Goofus

Thank you all for the info!

11. Andy & Pimp

I am learning lots of UK slang here and it's quite entertaining!

Lily-Fish and Mogmom and Goofus like this.
  12. Critter Mom

All part of the service, Andy. ;)

13. Mogmom and Goofus

I ordered some today from ADW, 30 gauge with 1/2 u markings. I've also paid more attention to which way the bevel is positioned, goes in so much easier! Thank you all! I'll probably need some help converting the u100 to u40 tho ;).

14. Critter Mom

15. Mogmom and Goofus

Thank you Mogs. :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  16. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Using the conversion chart is always safer than trying to do math on the fly.

Any human pharmacy like ADW is only going to sell U100 syringes since that is what human insulin is. You would need to shop a pet pharmacy to get a U40 insulin because only pet insulin is made in that concentration.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Melanie and Smokey ....ADW now sells U40 syringes too but they're all 29 gauge and I think these Vet's Choice are the only ones that are 3/10cc...the rest are .5cc and 1cc.....and none of them have half unit markings :(

Melanie and Smokey likes this.
  18. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris and China. I see they are selling ones with clear branding indicating they aren't for people. At least to most :)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  19. Mogmom and Goofus

They do have a section for veterinary use needles/ syringes, that's where I ordered mine. I couldn't find any smaller gauge needles for U40, so I got 30 gauge u100. I'm going to use the conversion chart that Mogs shared with me.

20. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Tammy....if you're having trouble with bent needles when you've been using the 29 gauge, you'll probably have even more trouble with the 30 or 31 gauge because they're even thinner.

I like that they're thinner (so I figure they don't hurt as much) but they sure do bend easy!!

Hopefully now that you're watching for the beveled edge, it'll help though!

21. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I was nervous about them too, Tammy, Squallie also has kind of longish fur, and thickish skin, but the shorter needles have been working just fine. I never feel like it goes in deep enough to deliver insulin properly to him, but it does!

22. Mogmom and Goofus

I'm hoping that the shorter needle will help also.

23. Critter Mom

I far prefer the shorter needle. I feel that I am less likely to accidentally hurt Saoirse with them compared to the longer ones.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.