Question regarding remission BG ranges

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ReaAnn & Big Hoss, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

I read that the range for remission on the TR protocol is 50-80. Is it the same for SLGS protocol? Because Hoss is on SLGS and is in his OTJ Trial and he is certainly not staying in that range. He is staying at 60-120 so far and seems to be feeling great. Is this not an acceptable remission range? He’s well beneath the renal threshold (like >100 points below). But I’m not sure if he’s doing OK “by the numbers” or not?? I’m really confused.

2. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Bump.

ReaAnn & Big Hoss's numbers are much prettier than ours but I, too, wonder what the endgame is with SLGS.

ReaAnn & Big Hoss likes this.
  3. Carina Josefine

Carina Josefine Member

Kitty is in day 13, and have been up to 115 during her trial period. Usually between 70 and 110. I'm also very interested in this.

ReaAnn & Big Hoss likes this.
  4. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

This was Day 2 of his trial and I felt like his numbers were edging up today. Maybe he’s depleted the rest of the Lantus depot? Anyway, he did hit the 70’s in the late morning but was up to 147 at one point this afternoon. He was 125 at his normal pre-shot time this evening so I talked to my Vet and we decided to give him 0.25 unit of insulin tonight. But I go back to work on Wed. and if he starts going back down to 50 early in his cycles on this tiny amount of insulin, I’m going to take him back off. I’d much rather him be at 145 or 150 and off insulin than going hypo while nobody’s home.

5. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I think maybe you did start the ITJ trial too early but don’t worry you will be able to try again. Don’t be discouraged. You are almost there!!
    I’d like to encourage you to post over on the Lantus page where there are many more who use Lantus insulin and they will be able to guide you to the OTJ trial. You can dose lesser amounts than 0.25 units and the people over on the Lantus page can help you with that.
    I can understand you being concerned about your kitty dropping low when you are at work but if you stop the insulin before your kitty is ready you won’t get a strong remission. Try the doses less than 0.25 units. When you post over there link this post to it for continuity and so people can read your history. :)

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You probably did jump the gun a little bit....we usually drop them by .25 unit until they're on only a drop of insulin.

We want to keep them on insulin as long as safely possible to give the pancreas the best chance at fully healing.

But in good news, Big Hoss is obviously doing something right!! Those were gorgeous numbers you were getting!! Give it a little more time.....You may very well get there and it'll be a glorious day for both of you!

Jill & Jade and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.