Question regarding U-100 needles.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tajana340, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Hi, I am a little confused on the U-100 needles. They have 1/2 cc, 1cc, 3/10cc. So which cc is the one to use instead of the U-40 needles?

David

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Unless your cat is a high dose cat, most of us use the 3/10 cc syringes. Also try to get the syringes with the 1/2 unit markings. It will make it easier to adjust the dose in smaller increments.

3. tajana340

tajana340 Member

No she is not a high dose cat. I used the 3/10cc U-100 syringes last nite on her dose. and it didn't look like the insulin got injected or it was the right dose. I am supposed to give her .6 unit on Pzi and on the U-100 i gave her 1.5 on the needle.
    I switched this morning back to the u-40 syringe and it looked like the insulin took. So I am a little confused here.

David

4. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I don't know if the needle size makes a differnce or not . The u-40 syringes have 1/2 needle versus the U-100 syringes have a 5/16 needle.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, it's best to use the smallest volume syringe which is: .3 cc

You may also find using short needle 5/16 works better too.

So, when picking up the box, may I suggest you get a 30 or 31 gauge, 5/16 (short needle), with 1/2 unit markings.

Walmart sells Relion brand which is decent and inexpensive about $13 for box of 100.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

They can all be used for diabetic cats. Unless your cat requires a large amount of insulin, all you need are 3/10 cc insulin syringes.

[​IMG]

The half unit marked 3/10 cc insulin syringes are best to use.

Here is the conversion chart to use when using U100 insulin syringes with U40 insulin: http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

0.6 units of U40 insulin is the same as the 1.5 unit mark on the U100 insulin syringe. As long as you follow the conversion chart, your cat is getting the right amount of insulin.

Needle length and gauge has no effect on how the insulin gets into your cat.

You can get U100 3/10 cc insulin syringes with 1/2 inch needles if you prefer that needle lenght. If you need half unit markings as well, the only ones available are in 29 gauge which really isn't a big deal for most cats. Here is a thread on the old board with recommended brands of U100 3/10 cc half unit marked insulin syringes: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 22,1959486 (might take a few minutes for page to load because that server is very slow)

7. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

David--to shoot .6 units of U-40 insulin in a U-100 syringe, you would fill the syringe to the 1.5 unit mark on the side of the syringe. Each 1/2 unit mark on the syringe = .2 units of insulin.

8. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I don't know if the needle length has an effect. But on her last 2 doses of insulin. I used the u-100 syringes 5/16 inch needle length. And her #s just went up. This morning I used the U40 syringes with 1/2 needle, and her #s are coming down. Hmmm.

David

9. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

How did you measure .6 units in the U-40 syringe?

10. tajana340

tajana340 Member

It was more like .5 on that syringe.

11. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

If a smaller dose gives you better response, then it's probably the insulin amount versus the syringe length. Maybe tonight you should try .4 units in the U-100.

12. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Here are the insulin syringe basics. It might help you sort this out:

Size (1/2 cc, 1cc, 3/10cc)=capacity. The smaller capacity (3/10cc) works best for giving small doses of insulin.

Gauge=needle thickness. The higher the number, the finer the needle.

U40 or U100=insulin strengths, meaning 40 units or 100 units per millilitre. Human insulins are usually U100, veterinary insulins are usually U40.

13. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Some have reported their suspicions that using a 'short' needle (5/16") they do not get as good absorption
    as when using the 1/2" length needles.

All U-40 syringes come with 1/2-inch needles (no 'shorts').

U-100 syringes do come in 1/2-inch length, but not in 30 or 31 gauge, and not with 1/2-unit marks.
    They come in 29 and 28 gauge, I believe.

Is your kitty very 'fluffy' (fat). Sometimes it is harder to get the insulin under the skin if there
    is a thick skin or layer of fat.

Also, when using 'short' needles (5/16") you can shoot a little more directly towards the body than
    you would with 1/2" needles, and you will get under the skin better.

You can still do fine-dosing with U-100 syringes that don't have 1/2-unit marks...you just have
    to 'eyeball' it for where 1/2 is.

14. Anne & French Fry (GA)

Anne & French Fry (GA) Member

u-100 needles with 1/2" 29g are often used by those of us with long haired or thick haired cats as well. There really can be a difference in how the insulin works depending on needle length, shot placement and even angle of insertion. there have been many discussions of this over the years.

Here are a couple of them from the archives at FD Library:

http://fdlibrary.yuku.com/topic/33

http://fdlibrary.yuku.com/topic/51

15. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

David, one way to find out if it's the needle length or that .6 is too much is to give her .4 or with the short needle U100 syringes at her next shot. If the numbers remain high, I would suspect the needles. If the numbers go down then you know the .6 was too much.

So, if the numbers are high and the needles are to blame then you have to look at other needles. I still thing u100 even without the half unit markings is easier to micro dose than the u40 syringes... but that's for you to decide. You know your eyes.

16. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Thank You Karen and Anne. I have decided to not use the U100 5/16 inch needles for my spicey's health. Both of your replies made sense to me. She is a fluffy cat. I did order the U100 1/2 inch 29 gauge syringes but until they get here I have to switch back to my U40 syringes.

David

17. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

David--the 29 gauge needles are much thicker than the 31 gauge needles. Lucy would run from her shots until I switched to the lower gauge (31).

18. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I use the 29 gauge right now and don't have a problem with spicey and her shots.

19. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

I think the needle size that works best is the one that you will be most comfortable using. I've just started using the shorter needle and I think we've come up with a technique that will work for us. This morning I pulled the skin out on Buddha's side and shot upwards between my fingers (as opposed to sideways like before.) Not describing it well at all, I know, but I'm just saying that altering my technique will make them work for me. I bought 3 boxes (to save on shipping) and I intend to use them! Also, I'd been scruff shooting with 29 gauge 1/2" needles for over a year, and while Buddha never even seemed to notice that he was receiving an injection, his skin has thickened so now its hard to punch the needle in, and he's developed lumps too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.