Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

at about 5 on vets pet meter Gretchen was 249. Just now on ReLion Premier Blue she is 370 (test before feed) at 11p
    So? How do I know what her number is really?
    I can’t wait to get my ordered pet monitor!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter that you get an exact number.....even using a pet meter won't give you the same results as tests done using professional lab equipment.

The glucose monitors for home use (both human and pet) are only required to be within 20% of the result on professional lab equipment.

What we're looking for when we home test are "trends" more than individual numbers and to keep them safe (not give insulin when they're running low for example or to know when we need to intervene with something high carb to bring them up)

Actually, going from 269 to 370 in the last half of the cycle is pretty normal for so early in your treatment

3. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I kind of figured...she had her shot around 11 this am so this was actually the end of her cycle. She doing great and I’m loving that!

4. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Ps ...vet used a pet meter last 2 times (today 2nd) First time was full labs.

5. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Yeah its normal. Take a look at my spreadsheet in my signature. Just a warning, I am a mad woman when it comes to testing Booger lol. But you will get a feel for how she will fluxuate through out the day. Now not all cats will do the same but it will just give you an idea. Normally Booger is really high before being fed in the morning and the evening. His lowest point during the day a.k.a Nadir changes some times too.

6. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Oh and I have always found with my relion that Booger was really about 100 points or so higher really than what relion would say. Now if the relion said that he was 65 he probably was only a few points higher than that. Like I told you before, the higher the glucose level they are, the more of a difference in the number you will see. The lower the glucose level, the closer in accuracy it will be. If you are like me and want accuracy, I highly suggest the Alphatrak 2 monitor and the Freestyle Insulinx strips. But if you are going to use that other pet meter or the relion, you just need to focus on the pattern of her highs and lows through out the day (weekends since you work during the week) and checking for lows. I would check out that pet monitor that you ordered and read some reviews on it. When I looked in to it, I was seeing reviews of people saying that it is basically a human meter but marketed for pets. The Alphatrak was made for pets to read their glucose.

7. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Oh crud. I didn’t get the Alpha, I really wanted to but it’s just so expensive even if Freestyle strips are used.

8. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I love your SS! I don’t know...maybe when Gretchen gets used to this more and realizes ear pokes mean treat (non carb freeze dried chicken:) I’ll do the same on days I’m off.

9. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I just downloaded an iOS app that I’m going to try. It’s simple kind of like spread sheets but make a graph...
    And it says “age: 4+” so hopefully I can figure it out :joyful:

10. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

The alpha kit is like $48 and the freestyle insulinx strips you can get on eBay for $9.99 until that seller stops selling them. They are apparently a distributor of diabetes supplies lol

11. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

But you should be just fine with the monitors you have. What app is it??

12. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I
    I’ll review all the stuff on the asvocate and decide. If it’s unopened I can always return it lol

13. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Just “Glucose Blood Sugar Tracker” ...all the others I saw included diet history and all that stuff I didn’t want. I didn’t search through many though. It was the first one that popped up

14. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I canceled it, it hasn’t shipped. I ordered the Alpha 2

JanetNJ likes this.
  15. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Not sure which novolin Gretchen is on or how much you pay for it but I just say this in my email from Total Diabetes Supply.

It won't let me add the picture. They have it for $45.99 but you have to order it by phone at 877-977-7709. Their website is totaldiabetessupply.com

16. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

17. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

The freestyle insulinx strips are very close in numbers to the Alphatrak strips. They look identical. That's why I like them. Most of my comparisons between the freestyle insulinx and Alphatrak strips were anywhere from 13- 25 points in difference. I can live with that lol. I would suggest getting a vial of the Alphatrak 2 strips at some point just for major emergencies like hypos. God forbid you never have to deal with one. Not necessary right now but maybe one the price comes down on the again.

18. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Here is the link to the insulinx strips on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/p/50-Freestyle...m=162754301602&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I would bookmark and don't suggest ordering them when you are in dire need. I ordered mine on a Monday and got them on a Friday. @JanetNJ got hers fairly quickly though so I think it just depends on what day you order them. They are $9.99 freeshipping for 50 strips. I have never gotten an expired box or any wonky strips.

19. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

20. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Wow thank you so much! I’m going to have to wait until Friday to order strips but I definitely will.
    From what I’ve garhered the one I almost ordered is not accurate at all on low numbers, which scared me into changing the order. I’m glad amazon hasn’t shipped it yet.
    Maybe so many from here ordering from seller will keep them in business :bighug:

21. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

22. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

LOL it’s almost 3am and I’m awake still reading , I can’t believe how much there is to learn.
    The order did NOT cancel. I thought it had but I got an email saying it was already being processed. That’s ok I have researched more and I’ll give it a shot. I can’t afford both so I did cancel the Alphatrak :(
    Off to try to sleep, coffee way too late last night!

23. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I
    I don’t know if you saw, the cancellation did not go through, it was too late. So I did cancel the Alpha. I was up until about 0330 researching and reading (not just on the monitor lol) and the Advocate has about as many bad reviews as the Alpha. It’s probaby 6 to 1 half dozen to another. I even did a “vs” search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.