Questions about back up meter/generic test strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Moms2Tigger&Blu, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

I have previously purchased the Precision Xtra meter for testing Tigger's Ketones - urine stix are not going well at all, wasted half a box, that crafty cat is too slick for us. But I was wondering if anyone uses it for BG's? I got 30 strips of each Ketone and BG and was just going to consider it back up. It needs a lot of blood however. Im seeing things about Relion Micro or Confirm being good - I am currently using the AT 2 from the vet. I was looking into generic strips for it and came across some possibilities - InsulinX, PetSure, and Freestyle Lite . . . but noticed no one really uses the Freestyle lite meter itself . . . any reason why? What I am really wondering here is what would be the best, most accurate, less expensive way to have a good main meter and good backup.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Actually I use a Freestyle Lite meter and have for a long time. It works very well and needs only a very tiny blood drop to give a reading quickly. I never get error readings. If you read online about human meter comparisons it has very good ratings. Some FDMB members think it tends to read low but I'm not sure. I've learned its ranges for Teasel's BGs. If a meter is going to skew away from ideal I'd rather it reads a little low than high which could result in me not addressing a low BG (ie., actually lower than what my meter tells me) when I should.

3. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA) Member

I know this is a late response, but just wanted to let you know that I have 2 Relion Micro meters and get varied results with each one so gave up and went back to AT2. I was using to try to regulate a cat but not at all comfortable with the comparable readings. My one cat is well regulated now so I would trust the relion for him with occasional rechecking with AT2. Just my 2 cents!

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I've used the AT2, Freestyle Freedom Lite and Freestyle Lite. All are good meters. I do find that the Freestyle meters read a bit low when compared to the AT2 at low range numbers but as Kris says, I'd rather be alerted too soon than too late about any low readings needing attention. The bonus using the Freestyle meters as your main or backup is that the strips will work in the AT2 meter although the reading will not be as accurate as is possible with the AT2 unless you happen to have the right code set on the AT2 meter. There are 7 known cat codes and folks just use the cat code on their last vial of AT2 strips when using the Freestyle strips in the AT2 meter. Since the documentation here is all based on human meter readings, it's easier to use the human meter as your primary and keep the AT2 as your backup. :)

5. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA) Member

I did use the Freestyle strips with the AT2 also, then switched to Relion Micro for a long time. I will still use the Relion for my regulated cat but just not comfortable for my other roller-coaster kitty especially while we are working so closely with our vet, and when I saw my identical 2 Relion meters can read 50-70 pts diff from each other. I have a large aging cat family so can't spend as much time on it as I would like. sigh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.