Questions about hair not re-growing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelly & Oscar, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Oscar had his neck shaved back in February to draw blood and check his thyroid (this is when he was diagnosed). Since then, only the long white whispy hairs have grown back, but not the main coat or his under coat. He had a depo shot back in November, but I don't think that could still cause this. He hasn't had blood work done since this past February, so I will call in on Monday to see if we can come in.

I am worried that something else may be going on since he occasionally meatloafs and his BGs are not consistent at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Atlas has a lot of fur that needed to be shaved off. It has taken him 6 months to grow it back in. We're still waiting for the tippy tip of his tail to fill out.

I think it was the lack of regulation that caused it to take so long. First he wasn't able to use the food or nutrition due to the diabetes...that's why we give them insulin.

Then the body is going to put it to use healing first, then on to the fur.

So if Oscar isn't regulated yet...it could be a reason his fur hasn't filled in yet. His body simply isn't yet able to use the all food.

It's a lack of nutrition due to diabetes.

At least that is how I viewed it from Attie's perspective.

3. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

My civvie former Feral Kerry has the same issue. On him the skin seems a bit thick, almost scar like. I just sort of figured that he was doing a pretty good tasmanian devil impression in the carrier when they let him out to sedate him and test his blood and examine him that they may have inadvertantly skinned him. He'd been trapped for less then 12 hours so he was in a bit of a state....

4. Cynthia and Sara

Cynthia and Sara New Member

When Sara had cancer, and they did radiation (obviously a different case!) her hair has never grown back---BUT the vet said at the time that hair re-growth can take a very long while, even a year or more in non-cancer cases....
    dont know if that helps!

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

When Shadoe had her u/s, they shaved her belly Mar.17 and what grew back is horribly thin and wiry, not at all like a shorter soft, silky hairs she had prior to shaving. What did grow back took a couple months.
    No harm in asking and having a check by the vet to be assured it's not a problem

6. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your replies! I am going to call our vet tomorrow morning to have him checked. I am also going to run blood work and a urinalysis since he hasn't been checked since February and his numbers are a little all over the place lately!

edited to add - our diabetic foster, Yoda, always grew back his hair in 2 weeks after being shaved, even from the beginning when his numbers were in the 400s and he was anemic. That cat has me spoiled since he was a text book case in how he responded to treatment on everything!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.