Questions, diet, etc.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dani Erway, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dani Erway

Dani Erway New Member

My 8 yr. old Japanese Bobtail, Brodie has been recently diagnosed. Initially we tried controlling with just diet. I am feeding him Tikki cat Queen Emma Luau Variety pack as it was the canned food, lowest in carbs on Dr. Lisa’s food chart. We just completed a glucose curve this week after being on one unit of insulin, twice a day, for a week, his numbers were consistently in the high 400s. So the vet has upped it to 2 units. Prozinc. How important is it to give the insulin 12 hours apart? Is it better to test the glucose before he eats, or after? (its way easier after)
    He is always hungry. He was an indoor/outdoor cat which has stopped. So he roams the house day and night begging for food and the outdoors. He throws up several times a day, usually mostly bile, occasionally food. I have been feeding him twice a day around 300 calories. He is somewhere between 14 & 13 lbs. Looks skeletal. We will be visiting the vet tomorrow as he threw up a round worm and there was blood in his loose stools yesterday. After reading a few posts I plan to feed him more and more often. Are there any articles specifically about diet amounts? I found articles on feeding raw but not any on canned...

Have looked for posts/ articles to see if there is a link between the worms and the diabetes. And wonder what the effect is on the insulin?

There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there, and not much that gives basic steps to follow. It’s hard to know what advice to follow. The ocd in me wants step by step guidelines. Thanks for your advice!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

300 calories may not be enough. You said he's underweight at 13-14 lbs. Let's say he's supposed to be 16 lbs. To maintain 16 lbs he would need to eat 320 calories BUT because he's an unregulated diabetic he may need more than that because his body isn't breaking down the nutrients properly so they are literally starving even though they are eating. Especially since he's underweight let him eat add much as he wants.

I would suggest instead of just two meals you feed 4 meals a day. Add another meal mid day and just before bed. Just no food at least 2 hours prior to the preshot test.

3. Dani Erway

Dani Erway New Member

So you are saying to test before feeding? I was doing that last week, but when given the glucose curve instructions was told to test after. Since it was easier...

The problem with feeding him as much as he wants is that I’m not sure he will stop. But I will try. He has always been a foodie and a good hunter, with an amazing metabolism until this past year when he went up to 19 lbs. Had him tested for diabetes last November because of the gain and he was fine. Wish I’d understood about feeding canned food then...

Thanks!

4. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

5. Dani Erway

Dani Erway New Member

No I hadn’t. Thanks!!!

6. JanetNJ

For the preshot test, yes, test before feeding so the number is not food influenced and you know if it is safe to shoot. Mid cycle let tests the no food rule does not apply. So 19 was too big. What is a healthy weight for him

7. Arkali

Arkali Member

I'm new too, so no advice, but I know you're worried. My baby just got diagnosed too and I am worried sick. Anyway, welcome to the forums and I hope you get Brodie on a solid program.

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Anne, I just looked at Gypsy's spreadsheet. Please don't worry yourself sick, you are already making such a difference, and doing so well. It's a steep learning curve, on top of feeling distressed that something is wrong with a fur baby. You are already reaching out to someone newer than you offering support. I think you are doing terrifically well! :cat:

Arkali likes this.
  9. Arkali

Arkali Member

Thanks so much, Lou! It's sooo much to learn. And my vet is... questionable. She didn't know about neuropathy and recommended a sliding scale on the Lantus. So I'm kind of winging it, but I'll be taking a printout of the Start Low, Go Slow protocol with me for Gypsy's checkup. Now to get some weight on her! {{{HUGS}}}

10. JanetNJ

He’s probably more familiar with in and out insulin rather than lantus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.