Questions from a insulin beginner

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CathleenCat, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CathleenCat

CathleenCat New Member

My Toby has just been diagnosed and I'm clawing my own way up the steep learning curve. I have a couple of questions and would very much appreciate any answers: is it OK to leave food down if he does not eat it all at one time, as in he likes to pick during the day, and he seems to be having trouble with his hindquarters which has come on very suddenly within the last 10 days. He's reluctant to walk far, jump up or down and spends much of his time in the crouched position. I know this last is bad but am not sure what could cause such an abrupt change. He seemed to be OK before we started insulin. Thanks, Cathleen

2. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

Can you tell us a bit more about Toby?
    When he was diagnosed, how much he weighs, what you feed him and of course what insulin you are giving him and how many units?

I remember being very overwhelmed when my Tray first was diagnosed but rest assured you found a wonderful community here and the amazing members will be here to help you.

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Crouched or meatloaf position indicates that he is uncomfortable/in pain/etc. somewhere, possibly in abdominal area. Please tell us more about how he was diagnosed, other medical conditions, whether he's been tested for ketones, whether he's eating and drinking, etc.

Jen

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

To answer your questions - yes it's perfectly fine to leave food out for several hours at a time. I do that with the canned and raw food I feed my girls - put it out in the AM, come home at night, put out fresh and repeat the cycle.

If he has weakness, it is very possible he has diabetic neuropathy. Here is a link that explains what it is: http://www.vetinfo.com/feline-diabetic-neuropathy.html

For many cats, this can be reversed - it requires proper insulin dosage (regulation) and giving the cat Methylcobalamin B12 daily. This is the one I used and recommend - because of the ingredients and ease of use: http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Vitamin-B-1 ... lcobalamin

All you need to do is open one capsule daily and mix into wet food. Whatever the cat doesn't eat, don't worry about, they typically need between 3-5 mg per day.

It is a slow process to see progress but all of sudden one day you will hopefully notice the improvement.

Hope this answers your questions and we would love to learn more about your situation -

- diagnosis
    - insulin being used
    - dosage amount
    - frequency
    - food being fed
    - other medical conditions

5. CathleenCat

CathleenCat New Member

Re: Questions from a insulin beginner #2

Thank you for your replies and here is some info for Toby: he is 11 years old, weighs 11# 3oz, having lost two pounds over past two months. His schedule is 1.5 units of what I think is a synthetic human insulin every 12 hours. He was started on one unit every 12 hours on April 26 and I got a glucometer May 2nd and got a 9 hour blood sugar of 241; at that point the vet raised him to 1.5 units every twelve hours. He is eating wet food only except for three Greenie treats a day and a couple of Pounces when I have to stick him. Types of food: Pro Pac Chicken and Liver, Max Cat Chicken and Liver, Natural Choice Chicken, Fancy Feast Classic Chicken and Turkey/Giblets, and Blue cat food, both Wellness and Spa. Toby was an abandoned kitten who had several viruses which still erupt from time to time so he is somewhat immunocompromised. He has taken Interferon for this in the past but not currently. He does have IBS, was found to have thickened gut walls at ultrasound. Last year he was very sick with a tender belly and was hospitalized with IV antibiotics but came through OK. No real cause was found for the infection. On the whole he has been remarkably healthy, all things considered. His blood tests have always been normal up to two months ago. He was given an injection of long-acting steroids in early April and had diabetes at the next visit, checked by both blood and urine. My vet did not mention ketones at the time. I check his breath every day. I think he is still peeing quite a lot and is maybe a little dehydrated still. I am going to follow up on the Vit B12 recommendation soon. My initial panic is past; I just am intent on learning the things that will make his life more comfortable and healthy. Really want to get him on raw food, but he balks at even 1/4 teaspoon in his regular food. Right now he is just lying around which is unlike him, though he is alert and responsive to me when I talk to and pet him. I look forward to your suggestions. Thanks, Cathleen

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Welcome to the FDMB!

is there anywhere in your vet bill or receipts or on the bottle as to what the name of the insulin is that you are using?

Any of these sound familiar? Vetuslin/Caninsulin, Lantus/Glargine, Levemir, Humulin, PZI?
    It will help to know exactly which insulin it is as there are many users here, might be a little quiet right now, its pretty late in some areas too.
    Plus there are forums for each one too with lots of info and discussions if you want to take a peek, go thru the main menu of the board and you'll see a listing of all the forums.

Hope you can post daily as much as you can should you need help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.