Questions & help switching cat from dry to wet food safely

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tigger12, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger12

Tigger12 New Member

I need some help, as soon as I get a meter I'm going to switch my cat to wet food only. My biggest question is if for the first few days if I should stop giving him his medication? I ask cause I've read that it's safer for them to have a high glucose level then low. Then as I continue to check his level thru out the day if it does get high then give him his meds as usual? Continuing to check his level often ofcourse. In that case what is to high & what is to low? I've always had the vet check him, so I have no idea what his level should b? My vet always told me there's no way to safely do it at home, which I now regret listening to! It might help to know that my cat has been on Glipizide for 5 years not insulin, however after reading info I'm thinking of switching to insulin if he has a need for it after switching to wet food only. I just want to make sure I do this correctly and safely as possible! Thanks for any advice!
    -Laura & Tigger

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Laura,

Would you mind erasing your other topic that is the same? Then everyone can reply to one. As long as you are testing often, you can change to wet food. Lots of people start out with 1/3 wet, 2/3 dry and then increasing the wet. Sometimes kitties can get upset stomaches if changed too fast. Oliver loved the switch and had no issues. He did go down 100 points overnight so we were glad we were hometesting. I can't remember. Are you going to stick with the Glipizide? If not, you could switch the food and stop the Glipizide for a few cycles to see what happens.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I deleted the duplicate post. ~~Venita

4. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

5. Tigger12

Tigger12 New Member

Thank you Venita! I don't know how I managed to post the question twice and couldn't figure out how to delete it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.