Questions on hyperthyriod cat who used to be diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shawny2u, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawny2u

Shawny2u Member

Hello board members,
    This is my first posting since they have changed the health board to this new format.
    I have no idea what has happened to my cat TUBBY's old history and backgraound. However
    I'l try to explain briefly what's going on. Tubby was diagnosed with diabetes on March 1 2006.
    I used to be a frequenter here but since his BGL went down to a normal level I stopped posting.
    However did surf the board occasionally to read the latest evry now and then.

Tubby is having a new problem, I am asking for your help and advice!

He became hyperthyroid and suffers from cardiomayopathy. I found out about his new problems
    several months ago with medication and proper diet he is well now, thank God!

Here is my question:
    His T4 was at 17 the first time around which was several months ago so he went on low dose of
    METHIMAZOLE 5mg originally. A month later his number went down to 12.5 yet extreemly high.
    The dose was increased and the next test showed 9.5! Still high, they increased the
    dosage, two months ago his T4 was 5.9, one of the cardialogists
    at the clinic suggested 10mg of Methimazole in the morning and 7.5mg at night

His next blood wok which was April 30 result is as follows:

T4 = 0.7

I have a strong feeling that his Methimazole shold drop to 7.5 mg in the mornings and
    5 mg at nights. Any thoughts on that?

One of the vet who is filling for Tubby's cardiologist suggesting to keep him
    on higher dose. I think even my suggested dose is too much.

BTW, he is taking 2.5 mg of BENAZEPRIL HCL and 10 mg of LASIX.

Thank you in advance for any inputs.

Best regards,
    Shawn

2. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

I was always told the route to go with the methimazole is kind of the same as with insulin, start low and go slow. That last T4 you got is pretty low so I would think he may need a decrease in the meds but at least the meds are working. Sorry to hear about the other conditions he has to battle.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the medical conditions you are talking about, but I may be able to help you with Tubby's old history. Please PM me with what your user name was on the old board. One way to PM is to go over to the right where my name is and you will see a PM button. Click on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.