Questions on Lung worm

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sonia & Leo, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Good morning,

I have a couple of questions and I’m really hoping someone can help me out please.

About a month ago, my son adopted two 7-month-old kittens that were found living under a bridge and brought to Pet Value which is a pet food chain that help cats get adopted.

Recently, one of the kittens started scooting on the carpets so he brought them both to the vet. They did a fecal sample and the one that was scooting was diagnosed with Aelurostrongylus abstrusus, (lung worm). Apparently, this is a common type of worm that cats pick up by eating an infected mouse or whatever.

The problem is the vet is recommending not treating the kitten but just keeping an eye out for coughing, sneezing etc.… Apparently, she said the injections to treat it are extremely painful. ?????

From what I’ve read on several websites, this seems to be something that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible as these worms eventually end up in the cat’s lungs and can lead to serious respiratory problems such as bronchitis, pneumonia and sometimes death. Also, I did not find any information about injections only oral meds.

Have any of you ever had this diagnosis of Aelurostrongylus abstrusus in any of your kitties and if so, how was it treated? Was it eventually cured? Can you let me know what the treatment was?

I would really appreciate any information you can give me.

Thank you,

This is Ollie (left) & Taz (right) Ollie is the kitten with lung worm.

upload_2018-11-14_7-10-6.png

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I wish I had advice but I don't. These are very sweet kittens and I'm glad they'll have a good home. I hope someone here can help.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

My cut and paste is not working. Check out these 2 sites:

caringvets.com search for lung worm. It was treated with "Revolution".

capcvet.org Very interesting site for parasites.

4. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Sounds like several treatments of worming meds will help. At least humans can't catch it directly from cats.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  5. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

6. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Harley Baby & Michele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.