? Quick BG question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shelaghc, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

I've been out all day and my Jester is hungry. But he isn't due for his shot until about 7:30PM. I need to get his BG, but if I feed him now, I believe it will screw with the numbers for his PMPS.

Would a PMPS more than two hours before the shot be considered valid? I really don't want him to have to wait another two hours (or even an hour) until I feed him. He's skinny as a rail right now.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No it wouldn't....the Pre-shots should be done right before feeding/shooting

You can give him a little snack of something like baked chicken (any pure protein source isn't going to cause a big problem)....not much, just enough to take the edge off his hunger

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

What did you end up doing? If it was more than two hours before PMPS I would have gone ahead and fed him. The BG reading two hours before PMPS would not be valid for PMPS.

4. shelaghc

I did the BG about 90 minutes before his shot.
    Good thing is that while Jester's been craving all medium carb foods lately (like absolutely *not* eating anything unless I give him things like Friskies Shreds), he's eaten over half a can of lower carb pate this evening.
    In the meantime, his BG has gone from nice blue numbers to meh yellow numbers.

5. shelaghc

That would be a little hard to do. I'm vegetarian and don't keep non-kitty meats in the place.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

How about something like freeze dried treats? The only ingredient is dried out protein

7. shelaghc

If he wasn't so skinny right now, I might consider that sort of thing. But right now, when Jester is hungry, I want to get as much food into him as possible.

I'm fine with missing a PMPS and marking it as 10 or 11 hour BG instead.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.