Quick question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Breanna H, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breanna H

Breanna H Member

I switched Tigger to strictly wet food almost a week ago and stopped his insulin how the vet told me to give it at the same time (he only got about 3 days of doses until I realized all she had told me is wrong). Since I am just seeing how he trends with just the change in diet, should I be getting any other glucose numbers besides pre meals? (2x a day) Would mid day numbers be useful at all since there is no insulin? How long should I give the change in diet before I try maybe a 0.5u dose of prozinc? He has been consistently in the mid 200s. I realize I'm probably being impatient but I also don't want to be waiting to start it if I shouldnt be. Thanks in advance guys!

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes you want to test before meals. Food does cause an increase in glucose levels so that is we recommend testing before meals and the shot.

If he is over 200, he still needs insulin. The .5 dose would be a good starting dose.

3. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

Getting a mid-day test in would be useful to see if his pancreas is kicking in at all. When my cat was in remission sometimes her pre-meal numbers would be a little higher than normal but 4-5 hours after eating they would drop on their own to about 72-81 so giving insulin would probably have dropped her too low. As Tiggers numbers aren’t all that high I would get that mid-day test in to get a full picture of what is going on. Fingers crossed the diet change drops him down to acceptable bg levels.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think it's a good plan to start insulin (per your spreadsheet).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.