? Quickie - +4 is 99 - should I check +6?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Jester had an AMPS of 230 and a +11 of 177.

I gave him 1.25U for each. Shreds for AM and PM meals, and cooked chicken for a late evening snack. (He ate at least half a chicken breast.)

Should I feed him something carbier? And should I be concerned at all?

@Djamila @Kris & Teasel @Rachel

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

He ate half a chicken breast?!?! That's a LOT of food!!! Hungry boy tonight!

This is where the difference between your PS and dose time gets tricky. 177 was his +11, but what was he at when you gave the shot? Did you give the shot at +11?

They can rise over 100 points easily in that last hour sometimes (other times hardly at all). So If he went from 177 to 99, I woudn't be worried about going to sleep at this point. But if he went from 277 (hypothetical) to 99, that's a steeper drop. If you gave the shot at +11, then I think he's safe for the night. If you gave the shot at +12 though, I dont' know what to guess.

3. shelaghc

I did give him his insulin at 12. By then he'd eaten more than half a can of shreds and he definitely would have had a higher BG.
    My regular habit is to test, then feed, then dose him at about the 12 hour point. In fact, now I'm thinking about it, he got his dosage about fifteen minutes before +12.

I think the hunger tonight was a reaction to the lower BG at +4. He does tend to want more to eat when his BG is low.
    It was a fairly small piece of chicken, btw.

UPDATE
    +6 was 122.
    So much for getting to bed early tonight.
    But at least I'll sleep better.

Tyk for responding about the +4.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  4. shelaghc

What a challenge my Jester is.
    This morning his AMPS was a reasonable 202 so I cracked open his carby can of food and dosed him while he was eating.

And then he stopped eating - no more than 1/8 of a can with a full unit of insulin in his system.
    Nothing I did would persuade him to eat more.
    Cracked open another can - this time his favorite less carby pate.
    He nibbled that for a bit - ate all of 1/6 of a can after adding water, heating it up, all the biggies over and over again.

Then he sneezed and I realized he might be congested.

Crap.....

Usually one hour after his insulin he rallies and eats even more. But one hour plus fifteen more minutes and he wasn't asking for anything.

So I went for the big guns and opened a slightly higher carb shreds flavor - turkey w/ cheese.

I'm going to be late for work, but he started eating that and ate somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of that can. Not happy and he's likely to go a bit low today. But it's better than nothing.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Best of a bad situation ... sometimes that's all you can do. o_O

shelaghc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.