R boosters

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa dvm, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Can anyone direct me to SSs of people using R boosters or any other discussion about this topic? When I type in 'R boosters' in the search box that does not get me very far.

Anybody with acro cats using R boosters?

Thanks!

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Most acro cats use R booster as needed. I used for both my acros.
    What sort of info did you need?
    My Oliver was getting 21u Lev and frequent shots of R around 7u at one point, but when he broke his IAA, we seldom needed to use unless he had the odd high.

3. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Thanks, Gayle.

I am looking for SSs that show variations in response to R. As dumb as we all know it sounds....to ask for an 'average dosage' since ECID.....I was looking for dosages of R that people 'typically' use. ("Typical" is such a bad word to use with FD....).

I am also looking for more info on IAA so will go to the acro board for that.

Can you provide the link to Oliver's chart? If you would rather send it privately, my email address is under my avatar.

When you say that "he broke his IAA" could you elaborate just a bit?

Thanks!

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

5. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Thanks, Jill. The charts definitely help. I only have one chart and the owner was using 0.25 - 1 unit of R.

On Porche's chart...what does "RBC" stand for? "really big change"??? :D

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

RBC = (LL slang) Rebound City

7. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Ok....I was close. :D

8. KT & Buckwheat

KT & Buckwheat Member

I hope this gets you to Buckwheat's SS. We did R boosters all the time thanks to the guidance from JoJo.

If our sig is still working you should be able to get to his SS.

Thank you for this board. It helped us to keep our beloved Buckwheat around for many years. He lived to 16 1/2 years and he was diabetic for 7 years.

KT & Buckwheat

9. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Hi KT,

I appreciate you responding. The link does work!

10. KT & Buckwheat

KT & Buckwheat Member

Thanks Dr. Lisa,the best to you!

11. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

Dr. Lisa,
    I have used R quite a bit, I do not have an acro but I have a cat who throws off ketones, that can quickly turn into DKA if I do not use R. My cat is a heavy gulper, so I would use 1uR and decrease her regular insulin by 1u, usually. If her ketones continued to rise I would shoot 1R with each shot, she is dosed TID and usually get's 4u TID.

12. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Dr. Lisa,

I use R for Weezer as needed. Most of the use is on the Jan-Jun 2012 tab.

13. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Gus

Tommy

Both of these are acro cats. Their strategy was to use smaller doses of R more often to hold the numbers flat at times in the cycle when they would normally be rising.

I used R a few times with Jazzy, my acro. Interestingly, she was so sensitive to R that I wasn't able to use it much at all.

Black Kitty is an awesome example of an IAA spreadsheet. She also has a tab on the spreadsheet with her R scales. Sandy still posts here sometimes so if you want more information, you can send her a PM and she'll see it. It is interesting to study this spreadsheet because he has IAA that is not complicated by having acromegaly too, so it is easier to see his patterns. He built up to a high dose with lots of R, then suddenly the resistance broke and his insulin needs dropped dramatically (all the way to zero!).

14. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Thank you all....this is so helpful!

I love this board....it helps me learn so that I can help more cats!

15. sanrun

sanrun Member

I used R to cover Cecil's food spikes, I'd shoot it 1 or 2 hours before or with his regular shot of Lantus/Lev. It did seem bring him down enough for the longer insulins to have a chance at getting him into good numbers. Look at Cecil's SS. Unfortunately, he was never regulated very well because of the Acro. Boy! I certainly tried! I wanted to pull my hair out sometimes. :evil:

Sandy - Dottie, Jeter, Tilly and Bubba

16. Punkyp

Punkyp Member

Sorry My SS isnt up to date but I would use on average 4.5u R BID in addition to my 11u basal Lantus dose.. (acromegalic cat of course).. The interesting thing w/ R was that I every .5u would reliably bring his numbers down 50 points (75 on a really sensitive day so I used that as my guideline.) I would use it to prevent a rise, & to bring down. Once he became more insulin sensitive after SRT, .5 R would drop him 100 points. I tested him like a psycho 6-10x a day until I got comfortable w/ the R dosing.

17. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there Dr. Lisa :cool:

I see Libby provided you with the link to Black Kittys spreadsheet. I can't imagine what managing BKs FD with IAA would have been like without it. His (later) R scales are on a separate tab. We did work our way up to the first one you see there - unfortunately I lost the early ones in a hard drive crash.

I'm happy to discuss in depth if it would be helpful. IAA is baffling. I've done some reading on human IAA and I'm left thinking the antibody world is much more complex than I realized. If it's the same for felines the standard test available may not be capturing the full variety of antibodies to insulin.

Try using the word "bolus" in the search box - you'll get some hits.

Hope this helps :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.