? Rabies vaccine and diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liz & IttyBit, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

I think we may have found a new vet, but she made it clear that she requires all patients to have been vaccinated for rabies before she will treat them.
    Are there any issues with diabetic cats getting rabies shots?
    IttyBit is in remission and we believe his diabetes was caused by steroids. Does this make a difference?
    My civvie had to get her shots before her surgery and she was sick for 2 days after.
    I don't want to do anything that could cause IttyBit's diabetes to kick in again.

2. ja9390

ja9390 Member

I don't think 1 vaccine would produce so much of an immune response as to knock him out of remission.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Do just rabies at 1 visit, not all possible vaccines.

4. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I never had a problem with the rabies shot. I did have one cat who had immune problems who would always had bad reactions to her shots. It helped to spread her shots out, with only one immunization at a time and to limit to only those absolutely necessary.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I would seriously rethink any vaccines especially for a diabetic cat.... most vets would give you a waiver as your at has a compromised immune system. Many holistic vets if not all will give a waiver for this (and all vaccines)
    If you google "over vaccination pets" you can walk in with some knowledge of what could happen as it will trigger "rabies" killed or live virus (I think the live virus is no longer given. regardless it says right on the box of rabies at the vets office FOR HEALTHY ANIMALS ONLY
    If you cat has ever had a vaccine chances are you are covered. (Do we get a polio vaccine every year?) You can do a titer test but if rabies is the law in your state it does not recognize a titer test. I would seek out a different vet if it was my cats--I have a waiver for both-
    1 had kidney disease and the other FD-
    Please do some research-you will be glad you did-

Cherryl & Mouzer and Critter Mom like this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

http://vitalanimal.com/waiver/ I hope this helps--

7. jayla-n-Drevon

Sorry to go on but this is a passion of mine--
    Itty is in remission ... what if there is a reaction??
    The will give steroids.... then you have the possibility of Itty falling out of remission--
    These vets infuriate me!! money money money!!
    They actually call it a "revenue generating pet" get them sick-keep them sick-:mad::mad::mad:

Cherryl & Mouzer likes this.
  8. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I have not heard of a vaccination knocking a cat out of remission. There is no steroid in a vaccination. IttyBit could feel a little out of sorts for a day or two afterwards, that could cause some rise in the BGs. But a relapse isn't likely just from a vaccination.

9. jayla-n-Drevon

What I was trying to say was if the cat reacts to the vaccine they will generally give steroids to counteract the vaccine symptoms which is what caused Itty to become diabetic according to the post-
    Respectfully...

Cherryl & Mouzer and Critter Mom like this.
  10. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

The problem that occurs is that not all states actually allow a medical waiver in place of rabies vaccination. If you're in a state that doesn't allow a waiver, it's really up to the individual vet to decide. Where we are, there is no waiver permitted yet our vet still doesn't vaccinate our cats with long term conditions because their assessment of the risk is that the risk of exposure for our indoor cats is low and the risk of vaccination would be higher. But not all vets are going to come to the same conclusion. If you're really set against vaccinating (I'm not judging anyone - remember, our cats with health conditions are NOT vaccinated) then you might have to call around to find a vet who won't insist on vaccinating. The list of requirements and states that allow waivers that I found is here https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateAndLocal/Documents/Rabies_state_law_chart.pdf

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  11. jayla-n-Drevon

I completely agree that vaccines are not "evil" but they often are over used and although they do not always cause a health condition it is my opinion that they do not help either. I just wanted people to be educated not start a war-
    depending where you live and lifestyle is a factor-

Cherryl & Mouzer likes this.
  12. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not trying to start a war - I'm really not. I just thought having the legal information out there might give everyone an insight into why some vets are still insisting on vaccinating cats with health conditions. I'm not a fan of vaccination at all - I've never done regular vaccination for any of my cats apart from the basic legal requirements. And I happily accepted the waiver for Rosa, whether it goes against the legal requirement or not.

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

14. jayla-n-Drevon

I think I upset @Melanie and Smokey
    That was not my intention--Many do not realize they have a say in what if any vaccines are given-

manxcat419 likes this.
  15. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

16. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Yes. And many of us say yes to vaccinating our pets. My problem is that you are saying that the only responsible answer is to disagree with your vet if they recommend vaccinating. I simply disagree with you. Many vets care enough for our pets to have a real and responsible discussion about whether it is safe to give the vaccinations. I did every time we had Taz's for the last 3 times it was due. We skipped it 3 years ago, then gave it a month later when everyone in the house got sick. This year we skipped her rabies despite the law requiring it. It is a discussion for an owner and their vet to have.

Critter Mom and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
  17. jayla-n-Drevon

I am not saying to disagree with your vet
    I am saying be informed

18. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Each vaccine is formulated differently. I'm 66 and get a flu shot every year, and will need to get another pneumonia vaccine soon.

Polio is not only nor longer in the US, it also is a disease that primarily affects children. So no comparison.

On the other hand, rabies is spreading again in this country. And having an indoor cat doesn't matter - I've had bats get in my house, which my cats thought were great fun to try to catch.

I understand your wariness, but do also be totally aware of the danger of not vaccinating. The majority of cats do not have any serious problems from getting a rabies vaccine.

PS: I just read your other thread about vaccination. Jayla-n-Drevon, you seem passionate about this. But I also will agree to disagree with you on this general subject.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Reason for edit: clarification of position.
    BJM, Critter Mom and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
  19. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Thank you all for the input. It's very much appreciated.

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I don't know if the vaccine has been changed. I remember my previous vet I used for over 30 years telling me it's a vaccine that is one dose fits all whether it be a dog or cat regardless of weight. Which in itself doesn't seem right.

So I wonder if it's possible to ask for half a dose? Now I haven't tried it myself but will ask next time my civvie has an appointment. Smokey was medically exempted (2014) in PA for diabetes and age and at the time sick. Since he had always been up to date until then. I personally now know if they are showing signs of illness, I will not allow it at that time. My 2 civvies still get theirs as they are younger and healthy. Smokey does not receive any vaccines.

Because he is not vaccinated, I can not board them and very possibly any overnight stay at vet ER will be refused as it is their policy. So vacations are out for us, again my choice. But I do understand the kennels and vets, they must protect their practice, employees and other animals they see. They would be held liable should something happen. How would you feel if it were reversed? You or your pet contracted rabies because another pet in the hospital wasn't vaccinated and had it?

Your decision, but you also need to know the limitations by not having it done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.