Radar: first tests - all green!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Amy & Papaya (GA), Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

Previous thread

As I explained in last thread, a friend was going to leave me with their diabetic cat currently on 6 units twice daily of ProZinc and dry food, so I could switch to wet and adjust dose. She was not hometesting and the (high!) dose was based on a couple of fructosamine tests a year ago...vet didn't really do a curve.

When I saw the cat I wondered if maybe it would actually need a high does because wow, overweight! And yet she seemed relatively healthy - thick, nice fur and no problem walking. As they arrived a couple hours late for its shot and I figured it would be stressed enough from the 5 hours in the car plus new place, we didn't try testing right away, but I suggested seeing if Radar would eat just wet tonight and we would give a relatively low 2 units (didn't want to totally skip as I thought BG would be high anyway from stress).

I walked my friend through using the lancet, meter etc. and she was eager to try. So in the morning she went into the room I had set up for Radar to be separate from my civvies, and did the test all on her own. She came out and said... it's 74. After a "low" dose last night and one of my civvies going nuclear at sensing an intruder!

I told her no insulin this cycle, just give Radar some Friskies pate and we'll test at nadir later to see how high it goes back up with no insulin. We were out for the morning, came back and my friend needed my help to get a good blood drop. So I tested at +6 and got...50. Frankly I had wondered if she had done something wrong on the first test but nope it seems to be good.

Because of the reaction of my civvie it was clear Radar could NOT stay with me, and their holiday plans had fallen though anyways, so they ended up returning home the next day and taking the cat back too. But my friend is delighted to see that her cat either needs a waaaaay lower dose or perhaps none at all with the food change...not to mention a little sobered that without testing she would have blithely shot 6 units into that green and the poor cat would have to eat kibble to counteract. Knowledge (from home testing) is definitely power!

She doesn't have data on her phone as she's out on the farm, so she will not be on the board but will text me with questions going forward. I'll check in from time to time for advice! Have a great day!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

So glad you had her test!

Amy & Papaya (GA) likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Is she going to keep feeding the canned food? Did he like it? I hate seeing overweight kitties! It's so great that you were able to teach her, and that she took to it so quickly (and Radar cooperated!). Well done! Do keep us posted on how he's doing!

4. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Radar loooooves canned food and thinks life is very good since the kibble has disappeared :)

FurBabiesMama and Djamila like this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Geez! That's crazy....makes me wonder if Radar hasn't been going low on a fairly consistent basis. We've seen it before where kitties are on too high of a dose, have a hypo episode (could be asymptomatic as you know) and then go into remission! Obviously, NOT a method we would suggest here, but it does happen. I'm SO thankful your friend picked up on hometesting and is able to keep it up at home. Hopefully this is a sign that Radar won't need any insulin soon!

I am sorry to hear that your friend's holiday plans fell through, but I'm sure Radar is happy to have them home and I'm sure your civvie is glad you're not "cheating" with another cat! Please do keep us posted and let us know if we can be of any help.

6. Amy & Papaya (GA)

The "feed dry kibble and blindly give a ridiculous amount of insulin" protocol :blackeye:

7. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Update: the owner texted me test results... 64. No insulin since the 2 units on Saturday night.

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Such great news!!! And so scary to think about what could have happened!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.