Radar is better but I still have lots of questions....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jan Radar (GA), Jun 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone, Allow me to introduce my lovebug kitty, Radar. He was diagnosed with diabetes in late March of this year when we discovered lakes of urine in his litter box. After 3 months of insulin therapy, he is doing much better. The humans in this household have learned a lot during the past 3 months about gentle restraint, where the veins are in the ear and keeping all the needed supplies in the house in addition to a host of other "new" things. As I traverse this path, I am constantly thinking of more questions about how to provide the best care so Radar has the best quality of life. I am so delighted to have found a community of experienced care givers who can help guide me to the answers I seek. Thanks for being here, jan - a.k.a. Radar's mom

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  3. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Jan and welcome to you and Radar. Glad to hear he's doing better -- sounds like he is in good hands! He's certainly a handsome fellow!

4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard :) it is great to see that you're home testing already. There is an awesome spreadsheet (instructions in the tech forum) that you can use to record Radars BG results. The instructions will tell you how to put the link in your signature so we can check it out and you'll also be able to provide the link to your vet. It's an excellent tool to help us help you.

It would also be great if you could put a few additional details in your signature including date of diagnosis, the type of insulin and meter used and any other medical issues that Radar has.

I doubt you can come up with a question we haven't heard before so please feel free to ask as often and as much as you need to. We are here to help :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.